Blood At The Midnight Hour : Forum : What is Lacking in the Modern ..

What is Lacking in the Modern Horror Story?

15 Years Ago

Well, how do you think that modern horror stories could be improved upon? Then again, perhaps you only read more traditional tales? Indeed, maybe some modern stories would have been better, if they did make more references to the old myths?

What about characterisation, by the way?

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Honestly, I think what's wrong in modern day horror is that writer's tend to lean towards worlds and eras they simply do not know. What is more frightening? A vampire story set on a remote town in Romania, or a vampire story based on a small quiet neighborhood that mirrors your own? When writing it's always best to keep close to what you know because if not, your writing comes off as what it is, simple guessing and estimating. If you're a historian/writer who specializes in ancient civilization, the Mesopotamia period, then stick with that! It doesn't matter, but stick to what you know, and if you insist on writing otherwise, do some serious digging to get youself in that mood.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I think the problem with modern horror is writers tend to stick with clichés, i.e. - ghosts in graveyards, vamps in Romania, witches in Salem, werewolves in London, etc. Writers need to set a tone that they are familiar with (I totally agree with Sound) and run with it. If you want to do the extensive research of writing about a foreign country, city, etc. then take the time to do it. Who knows... your story may turn out more intriguing in the end.