Blood At The Midnight Hour : Forum : Reading List

Reading List

15 Years Ago

Just curious...what's on everyone's reading list right now?

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I've just been going down the Pulitzer Prize list recently. From most recent to earliest. I'm reading Lonesome Dove right now, which to my surprise isn't too bad. It's actually really good. I've read A Confederacy Of Dunces, which is hilarious by the way. My next five are:

The Terror- Dan Simmons (not a pulitzer prize winner)

Beloved - forgot the author

The Road - McCarthy

Gilead - Robinson

House Made Of Dawn - Forgot the author

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Well, my reading is pretty mixed. At present, I'm close to completing my re-read of a compilation of stories by Algernon Blackwood. Next, I intend to read the following titles (which I bought quite recently):

The Early Asimov: Volume 2 (by Isaac Asimov)

The Loved Dead (by H. P. Lovecraft)

Carnacki The Ghost - Finder (by William Hope Hodgson)

How about the rest of you, fellow group members?

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I'll read any book I can get my hands on. I believe thats the key to becoming a better writer...sometimes. Right now I'm reading 'Danse Macabre' and 'The Bachman Books' by Stephen King, and I totally recommend 'The Black Book of Secrets' by F.E. Higgins. Though some of you might find it childish and below their reading standards, it really is a great book, with a great plot, characters so colourful you can almost taste them, and it always leaves you smiling after each chapter. It's definitely a book one has to read while drinking tea, stroking your cat, and hearing the raindrops falling outside. :)

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Trinity Blood (lol) :) Also, I have Anne Rice's, 'The Vampire Lestat'.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I have to share this with you guys... I just finished a book called The Devouring by Simon Holt. It was the best book I've ever read. No joke. If anyone's wondering what it's about, here's the description from Amazon:

"When dark creeps in and eats the light,
Bury your fears on Sorry Night.

For in the winter's blackest hours,
Comes the feasting of the Vours,
No one can see it, the life they stole,
Your body's here but not your soul..."

THE VOURS: Evil, demonic beings that inhabit human bodies on Sorry Night, the darkest hours of the winter solstice.

When Reggie reads about the Vours in a mysterious old journal, she assumes they are just the musings of an anonymous lunatic. But when her little brother, Henry, begins to act strangely, it's clear that these creatures exist beyond a madwoman's imagination, and Reggie finds out what happens when fears come to life.

To save the people she loves, Reggie must learn to survive in a world of nightmares. Can she devour her own fears before they devour her?

The Devouring is an engrossing tale of terror that will have you wondering: what if your worst fears became your living nightmare?

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Sounds like a Dean Koontz kind of book to me. I don't much care for Dean Koontz, since most of his work is cheesy as hell. I'd recommend The Watchers by Koontz, though. It's creepy, intense, and not as cheesy. Always good to have cheese in moderation.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Nah this is better than Dean Koontz. It wasn't cheesy. Trust me--I wouldn't be praising it if it was. This was every bit of a nightmare; characters were solid, prose was great, the plot carried me from one page to the next, and the ending left me hanging and wanting more. I'm ready for a sequel!!! LOL

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Good deal, I'm going to pick up the Devouring tomorrow. I'm also going to grab joe Hill's book as well.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Sigh. B&N didnt have the Devouring. Going to have to order it online.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I order all my books off of Amazon. They're always in stock. I hope this helps. :)