Blood At The Midnight Hour : Forum : H. P. Lovecraft (and his writi..

H. P. Lovecraft (and his writing)

15 Years Ago

This writer managed to be pretty prolific during his life, which was cut short so abruptly by cancer. Without doubt, he remains a mighty figure in twentieth-century supernatural fiction, having written so many short stories, poems and three novels. Born in 1890, H. P. Lovecraft lived most of his life in Providence (Rhode Island).

Known as an antiquarian with a fondness for cats, some people have also claimed that he was somewhat puritanical. He also had a good geographical knowledge of New England. H. P. Lovecraft's three novels are "At the Moutains of Madness", "The Case of Charles Dexter Ward" and "The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath". Technically, each of these is a short novel. In other words, longer than a novella but without the length of a complete novel.

A few of his stories have even inspired films. Who knows what the future has in store for his work?

Do any other group members enjoy reading his output? Any views about individual stories or poems by this author?

Looking forward to your replies.....

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

H P (Howard Phillips) Lovecraft is my all time favourite writer, and probably the one who had greatest influence in my writing.  The most wonderful accolade given to me was when someone reviewed a story I'd written as "Very much in the style of H P Lovecraft but easier to read..."

He wrote so many wonderful stories, that its difficult to find a favourite.  I'd have to say The Call of Cthulhu being the first H P L story I ever read.  But also, At the Mountains of Madness, The Shadow over Innsmouth and The Dulwich Horror to name a few.

A wonderful website that has, I believe, everything he ever wrote can be found at dagonbytes and well worth a few hours reading.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I just read my first Lovecraft story today, called "The Tomb". Totally amazing. He has now replaced Jack London and Stephen King as my favorite author. Compared to Lovecraft, King's tales are merely fairy tales. I wish I had bothered to pick up a Lovecraft book years ago.