Books : Forum : New books

[reply] [quote]

New books

16 Years Ago

Please post the names and a short description of the books you are writing at the moment.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I have a huge problem with starting a book, deciding I don't like it, and then just quitting.  I've never finished a whole book, just short stories but right now I've starting a book that I'm going to title Conscious.

It's about a young girl, Jael, who is caught up in an eating disorder, along with a couple other problems.  She wants to talk to someone about it but is scared and at the same time doesn't want to recover.  One day an unknown person adds her on MSN and when she asks who they are they simply say "I'm your conscious".  This conscious person adds almost everyone in her school and she at first she is suspicious about "her conscious" and is determined to find out who it is.  However, everytime she asks about "her conscious", he/she keeps telling her that he/she knows what Jael is doing and that if she doesn't stop soon she'll die.  Jael starts to panic because she's never told anyone about her eating disorder.  She soon takes trust into "her conscious" and that's when events at school start causing Jael's life to take a turn for the worse.  She decides to go on a hunt and find out who "her conscious" is and evenutally finds out more about herself too.  

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

My book lists include:

1. Realm of Shadow. 

This is a fantasy tale about a dark lord (ain't there always one of those) who discovers ancient magicks allowing him access to the infamous Plane of Shadow.  Using is new found power he launches an attack on the realm starting with two cities: Islesen and Port Alexi.  In Islesen he targets the group of people that could stop him, a group of knights that disbanded years before due to treachery, murder,and failure. When it comes to treachery, Jason "Jayce" Shadowgrass is an expert, and vowing never to serve the city again he finds himself being the "hero" one more time to save his own "stolen" empire within the city.  He once again must work with old friends, some enemies, and a pirate captain that has fallen for him Catherine "Cat" Foster.

2. Twilight's War

The war between Queoth and Betten has been faught for over 100 years, the reason, now lost with time.  Yet a handful of new recruits finish training as the new elite special forces unit known as the Twilight Brigade and are sent to a backwoods barbarian village high in the mountian pass to do espoinage work on Betten Supply Trains and Troops.  However on the night they arrive at the welcoming party, 4 explosions rip through the small hamlet, one striking the very bar they were in.  A town now in devestation, these survivors are on their own, all ranking officals above them dead, to find the answers to many questions.  Their discoveries lead them to the very core of the war and the world.

3: When Hell Freezes:

A small city in Pennsylvannia becomes the home of a Demon that is summoned by a very old vampire.  The dead of winter brings with it death as tragedies befall the city only to see them rise again.  As the demon and his vampiric student Tiffany Margos create an army while searching for a child to sacrifice to bring back the mother of all vampires, Lilith, a handfull of brave citizens band together to fight.  Hope comes to them from a far as a large stranger and his religous companion's arrive miraclously to aide them in a fight that started eons ago, when the stranger and the demon fought each other once before.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I am currently working on a novel called the Secret Sea, which is a tale about a young girl who is abused by her stepfather. Her sister goes missing and Millicent has to go in search of a way to find her…I don’t want to say anymore in case I spoil it.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Bleeding The Orchid is a first person crime thriller/noir following Detective James Harrison. He and fellow detective Anthony Joyce hunt down an articulate, psychopathic serial killer with a two-fold agenda. But despite his talented industriousness and intuition, he must conquer the world of his insanity, understand the true meaning of justice, and trust no one in order to defeat a threat of terror so great that may it not only destroy him but his city as well and ultimately unlock a dark secret that has been carefully hidden from him for years.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I have three projects that I'm working on right now.  If I'm stuck on one, I work on another, because I just have to keep writing - I'm a bit manic about it.

The Cult of Hahn - I'm 5 chapters into this fantasy story.  Liz is confused about her life, her love (living passively with a lesbian lover), and her biology (has a hormonal imbalance).  She hates what she has become and is too passive to do anything about it.  After a completely unfulfilling one night stand with a visiting musician, she looks at herself in the mirror, and finds herself growing voluptuous and beautiful.  She can feel it actually happening, but turning to look, she returns to normal with a horrible nausea.  It happens again and again with anything that reflects, and finally she reaches out to touch the mirror and finds herself pulled through it into a world where she is feared as as the Red Witch of the West and the most beautiful demon goddess-bride (Hora) of the demon-god Hahn, whom nobody has seen, but he is denounced in the Book of Cyrus as evil.  Liz has total control of mankind through her voice and has to be careful when she tells people to do something - they will comply without question (unless they are completely deaf) including dying.  She finds a strange middle-ages world where Christianity never happened, and she has little for time reference.  One thing she knows for certain:  She has to find Hahn, and has accidentally conscripted Alleyn, a young novice in the order of the Shanysh (Hahn's enemies) are her guide.  He will be her minion beyond death, and he has a lot to learn about women.

No Mistake - I'm still not sure what I'm doing with this.  It's an opening chapter to something larger.  Gemma has decided it's time to lose her virginity.  Her boyfriend is a willing, but uninspiring accomplice, and her invisible identical twin Emma (died at 1 mo) disapproves, if only for the reason of the pendant that Gemma wears and cherishes.  Her boyfriend gave it to her for protection, but it has another primary power, which Emma divulges too late.

The Wind Whisperer
- I'm actively writing this now and have another whole chapter screaming to be written down when I have a moment to do so.  Siobhan O'Brien is cursed.  When she inherits her estranged father's ranch in New Mexico, the nearby town suffers a series of calamities, starting on the night of her arrival.  A deeply superstitious community, they send her to a Native American healer who appears to be her complete opposite, until they find they have something in common the binds them throughout eternity.  I might change the title, since it might be be too close to The Horse Whisperer, which is nothing like this.  Possibly, The Wind Whispers.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

DawnFlower is my more recent book. It is about a group of girls, Hayden, Dora, Briony, and Rendylla. They live in a world that is ruled by women, though there are men in it.

In 1219 women all over the world decide they hate the way men are running the world and create a mass genocide killing all men that are 16 or older.

The book takes places nearly forty years later, Queen Shaelyn is a ruthless ruler on the men and anyone who threatens their existance. One of her younger daughter, Hayden, discovers her older sister, Dora, is in love with one of the Neriskahn, a men's rebel group focussed on creating a balance between how the world used to be and how it is now. Now Hayden must keep her sister's love a secret while under the burden of ruling the Queendom.

When the Sun Shines Through the Clouds is about a girl, Jaela, who discovers she is apart of a coven of ancient witches caled the Gardrian. There is a war going on between the Gardrian and the Conchan, a group of wolf-human hybrids.

A pack of Conchan enter Jaela's home town in search of the Crystal Coven, the royal coven of Gardrian, which Jaela happens to be apart of. In the process of stalking the coven members, Ross, a young Conchan, falls for Jaela. Now he has to choose his family and becoming human or his love for Jaela. Jaela has no idea the 'man' she has fallen for is the reason for her grandparents and ancestor's deaths.

Later in the book a lone Conchan named Cyle has followed the pack's scent and is lead straight to Jaela. Cyle is dazzled by her and unfortunately ends up loving her. When Jaela discovers the two 'men' she has grown so close to are her natural enemies, she has to deal with many decades of fighting, the current fight between her coven and Ross's pack, and the struggle between Ross and Cyle for her.

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Originally posted by Siennaskeleton

I have a huge problem with starting a book, deciding I don't like it, and then just quitting.  I've never finished a whole book, just short stories but right now I've starting a book that I'm going to title Conscious.

It's about a young girl, Jael, who is caught up in an eating disorder, along with a couple other problems.  She wants to talk to someone about it but is scared and at the same time doesn't want to recover.  One day an unknown person adds her on MSN and when she asks who they are they simply say "I'm your conscious".  This conscious person adds almost everyone in her school and she at first she is suspicious about "her conscious" and is determined to find out who it is.  However, everytime she asks about "her conscious", he/she keeps telling her that he/she knows what Jael is doing and that if she doesn't stop soon she'll die.  Jael starts to panic because she's never told anyone about her eating disorder.  She soon takes trust into "her conscious" and that's when events at school start causing Jael's life to take a turn for the worse.  She decides to go on a hunt and find out who "her conscious" is and evenutally finds out more about herself too.  

This sounds like a very interesting story! I very much look forward to reading it!

Happy writing!

Lauren

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I'm working on what I hope will be my last revision of my first novel, The Lust of the Eyes. Last before trying to get an agent, that is. I expect that there'll be suggestions to come out of that process. The book is about a family that lives in Hoboken, NJ. (For those of you who don't know Hoboken, it's across the river from NYC ... much more could be said.) The father is a notable painter, a practicing Catholic and a practicing drinker. His wife runs a suburban YMCA. Their daughter is a senior in high school. Without giving too much detail, he paints a controversial painting and his daughter copes with a personal mistake that haunts her. Their parallel stories later converge. The story is basically about how a family struggles to remain strong and united in the face of individual challenges.

I'm also in the planning stage of my second novel, which is set in California and Antarctica. That will be about a woman whose parents die in a car crash. She and her siblings are not sure whether it was an accident or a joint suicide, and our protagonist literally goes to the end of the earth (not her first time in Antarctica, where she and her father both worked as geologists) to find the truth about her parents and a love that seems durable.