Bookwriters And Novelists : Forum : What do you like most in books..

What do you like most in books?

14 Years Ago

Us all being aspiring bookwriters and novelists, I think we should discuss what part of other peoples' literature we enjoy the most. Is it the storyline, the characters, the twists, or something else altogether? I personally think that characters make the story, what about you?

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

both storyline and characters...you don't need twists to make a good book.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Lively, lifelike characters, and good, vivid descriptions! When I read about a place, I want to be able to see it smack in front of me. I think it's one of the staples of solid scene-writing.
I also believe that a good story needs a strong storyline, plot, thread, whatever you want to call it. It gives the story momentum, and that's what carries the reader through to the end :)
~Katherine

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Hi,
I would vote character first, by a slim margin.  The best plot in the world will fall flat if the characters are not believable, fun and engaging.  Although a horrid plot may kill a story, really good characters do have the potential to help a reader suspend some disbelief and still enjoy.  Lastly, but still very important, and the glue that can hold the plot and characters together in a story, is description and skilled prose.  All three is just a joy to read, but it seems like 2 of 3 is the best you normally get... maybe 2 1/2  : ) 

Re: What do you like most in books?

13 Years Ago

I think that it is the characters that make the story. they are the things which we the readers come to relate to and pull us into the story line.

Re: What do you like most in books?

13 Years Ago

I would say characters and the authors understanding of them and what makes them tick. There's nothing worse than reading a story where the character's behaviour doesn't make any sense.