Build A Book- Piece By Piece : Forum : Novel writing tips and tricks...

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Jeb
[reply] [quote]

Novel writing tips and tricks...

16 Years Ago

If any more experienced writers have tips for some of us noobies the advice would be greatly appreciated. 
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Build a book piece by piece... what a wonderful idea for a group.  I can't really claim to be an experienced novelist, Written three, and few more in progress, (self published one) but to me, the most useful tip I ever received was never start writing until you have the storyline completely mapped out, and if possible to the extent of knowing what will happen on every page of the book. 

Do I stick to that?  I try, although the story usually grows unexpectedly as I write, but to me there's no need to start at the beginning, I write sections as the creative muse takes me, knowing they will paste together accurately at the end.  Stuck on how to write one part? I move onto another then go back to it later.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I write novels exactly the same way as Mysteral; jumping ahead, going back and so on. My problem is that I have the damnedest time getting all of it to stick together.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I also write forward and end up going back refining what was previously written. It helps to outline your entire novel chapter by chapter and follow it like a map. Here is a outline from the novel i'm writing.

Chapter 1 “The Massacre”

Summary: On a dark rainy night a spiraling vortex appears and three Ryzmages appear on the backs of stranger raptor-like creatures. The female commander is Arshyss and she is accompanied by Racona and Haltor. Arshyss takes a blood stained rag and gives the scent of Sakyra to the beast who instantly take off with the Ryzmages on their backs. As the beast trample through the enchanted forest they catch the eyes of foraging elves. As the Ryzmages get close magic detecting blossoms blow their cover and the elves draw arms. Arshyss responses mercilessly and burns the elves alive. In the treetop other elves unite and attempt to blind side the fiery adversary, however they only fueled her counter as a cinder of fire took the lives of hundreds of elves. 

Chapter 1 “The Massacre”

1.     They Arrive

a.     Ryzmages appear from a vortex in the Igee Forest

b.     The three mages ride on the backs of strange beast

c.      The scent of Sakyra is given to the beast

d.     The beast scour the forest in search of the scent

2.   The Harvest

a.     The Ryzmage come upon harvesting elves

b.     Clamp plants blow the cover of the trespassers

c.      The elves draw swords of thorn and prepare to defend their home

3.   The Battle

a.     Swords of thorn vs. the flames of an angry mage

b.     Harvesters are burnt alive and the forest begins to burn

c.      Many elves gather in the treetops

4.   The Hidden Attack

a.     Elves unite in the shadows and combine their power

b.     The Elves channel an enormous attack and target Arshyss

c.      Arshyss absorbs the attack and counters with a hurricane of fire

d.     The entire village of Elves is massacred

Hopes this helps

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

An outline is a nice idea, but I would rather draw a venn diagram or a web, because they are more organized and help you visualize the story or explain the qualities of a person or animal in the story. Also, I suggest writing rather than typing, because when you write, you write slower than you type; therefore, you have more time to think about your words and your thoughts. It also helps that you can carry the paper everywhere, while you cannot carry the computer everywhere. For some reason, my written rough drafts have always been more detailed and organized than my typed or thought rough drafts.

So far, I have written only academic essays and short stories. However, if I develop my short stories in depth, then they may become a novel.