Christian Writers Guild : Forum : How does God Help when you are..

How does God Help when you are depressed?

16 Years Ago

I just submitted a poem I wrote when I was depressed. I suffered from clinical depression for years and everyone told me that I should just depend on God. Well, to make a long story short, on April 6, 2005, I admitted myself into the hospital because I was seriously considering suicide and I prayed to God and He instructed me to do what I did. I am now much better after intensive therapy and a lot of prayer! So what do you think? Can God help you through depression?

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Teresa Bridges Kemp
I just submitted a poem I wrote when I was depressed. I suffered from clinical depression for years and everyone told me that I should just depend on God. Well, to make a long story short, on April 6, 2005, I admitted myself into the hospital because I was seriously considering suicide and I prayed to God and He instructed me to do what I did. I am now much better after intensive therapy and a lot of prayer! So what do you think? Can God help you through depression?

Can God help you through depression? Based on what you wrote He did. It is the root of the depression that must be sorted out. In your case, talking and action through therapy helped you work out those root reasons for the depression. For me, it was a spiritual thing. Later, I was able to sort out the details through prayer, fasting, and study. There is no "one" answer for dealing with depression, except recognizing it and getting help. Prayer is always a good place to start. Jesus saves, heals, answers... that has been my personal experience. I go with that first.

I am glad to hear your troubles with depression are in the past. Just remember it doesn't mean you won't get depressed again. But when you do, you have tools, skills, and friends to help you get through it. You aren't alone.

Cheers!
Doc.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hi Teresa!
I believe God works to bring restoration and healing into our lives in many different ways. I am so glad you admitted yourself into the hospital when you were struggling with thoughts of suicide. God uses hospitals and doctors just as He uses medication when necessary. I believe it was exactly what you needed at the time.
Though I know there are some Christians that believe that using medication is a lack of faith, I don't. If there is a chemical imbalance, it may be exactly what is needed to get over a hump or circumstance in life and it is okay.
While I do think we need to depend on God and look to Him on a regular basis for answers to those things we struggle with, we should never put Him in a box by not allowing Him to work in our lives in the way that He chooses to send help. Sometimes help comes in ways we least expect it. Depending on God is also looking for that help that we have prayed for.
Teresa, I am happy and relieved you took the brave step by going to the hospital. God Bless You! I pray you are doing better. :)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Praises be to our Lord and Savior first! Yes, after many years of struggles with the depression, I now know how to handle it when it hits me again. Medication helped, but I did not want to become too dependent on it and have learned alternative methods to control my diet (which actually helped a lot!) and by turning to God more and depending on His grace and believe me, He has not let me down yet! I praise Him because He also gave me the ability to praise Him on paper, from this heart that He keeps beating! AGAPE!