Critique Me! : Forum : What Do You Like To See In Rev..

What Do You Like To See In Reviews?

14 Years Ago

I think it's understood that every writer loves to be reviewed, but as a group based on good reviews and critiques I think it's good for all members to know what we want to see in reviews.

Me? I like people to tell me what they liked about and, if they didn't like something, I like them to tell me why and, if they're willing, give me a few suggestions to help me improve.

So what about you?

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I like people to rip my story apart. Tear it limb from limb and burn what's left (the stuff that isn't limbs)
I like people to break my stories into little bits and jump on them. And continue on jumping on them until they find something nastier to do to them.
Unfortunately I don't get very many reviews like that on here.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Ripping it limb from limb? Burning the pieces? That sounds harsh! lol, I love it though! I do like people to really get into my writing and tell me why they loved/hated it. I'd like it done thoroughly, but in a nicer manner! :)

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Well I like harshness. I'm trying to improve my writing. Not my ego.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Lol, I love that post. Sounds just like the type of comedy I try to write.

Jump on them until you find somthing nastier to do to them. Very Douglas Adams like. xD

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Yes that was inspired by Mr. Adams.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Originally posted by Andrew (not Andy, A.J. or Drew)

I like people to rip my story apart. Tear it limb from limb and burn what's left (the stuff that isn't limbs)
I like people to break my stories into little bits and jump on them. And continue on jumping on them until they find something nastier to do to them.
Unfortunately I don't get very many reviews like that on here.

this might not be the place for you then. it tends to be more gentle here, not sure why. i like reviews & constructive criticism when it actually helps & is done tastefully. have you tried urbis? i'm sure they'd love to rip you a new one lol.

Re: What Do You Like To See In Reviews?

14 Years Ago

I -want- constructive criticism, but I'm like too overly sensitive. >.> the slightest affront to my writing seriously pushes me off the cliff, if you know what I mean :/ When I calm down, I accept it and like it, but yeah. I do appreciate it though :]My favourite thing is reading how the piece effected them. Like how it made them feel, what images it conjured up in their head, what it reminded them of...etc.

14 Years Ago

I like to see a well-rounded critique... I want to know everything that works - grammatically, plot-wise, character-wise, etc - and what doesn't. I like to have meaningful constructive dialogue with someone who can tell me why they like what they like about my work and why they don't like what they don't.

Basically, as long as I'm not getting extraordinarily fluffy reviews, I'm alright. I don't like thoughtless praise or thoughtless criticism.

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Howl
I think it's understood that every writer loves to be reviewed, but as a group based on good reviews and critiques I think it's good for all members to know what we want to see in reviews.

Me? I like people to tell me what they liked about and, if they didn't like something, I like them to tell me why and, if they're willing, give me a few suggestions to help me improve.

So what about you?

I like to see people post actual reviews and not shower writers with false praise and "this is cute". "Oh I love this". People on here easily give up praise and never actually offer constructive criticism. On the other hand, a lot of people on here take constructive criticism too hard and as disrespect. You're on here to improve your writing not to have your mother pin it on the refrigerator and pat you on the head.

If you don't like someones criticism or disagree, you don't have to listen to them. You don't have to change your writing for anyone. But to shower EVERY single piece of writing on this site with blind praise and love is ridiculous. Some of the popular writing on here is riddled with mistakes or is simply boring, dry, undeveloped.

I sense that much of this has to do with the abundance of younger writers on here who have a more "myspace/facebook" approach to this site rather than a serious writing approach.