Dark Poetry : Forum : Understanding Dark Poetry

Understanding Dark Poetry

14 Years Ago

Firstly, how should be classify this form of writing? I see it as a genre which is morbid, pessimistic, and unflinching from the harsh details of what life can bring. Do you agree, I wonder?

Well, I reckon that it is not necessarily connected in any way to sinister or gothic writing. However, perhaps it should be regarded as a genre which includes these categories too? What do you think?

I regard Edgar Allan Poe as a very fine example, of a writer who wrote dark poetry. Often, his writing would relate to death, the loss of love, torture or isolation (amongst other themes).....

Julian

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I don't know if it should be considered a form all its own for I am not sure how you write it I am more of a free verse type writter no sure how to do the form writting I just write.  Form poetry haws to many syllable things that have to be counted which means I have find a syllable counter and do it that way.  But I do write dark for the majority of my poetry even the "lighter" side of writing for me comes out dark.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Edgar Allen Poe's The Pit and the Pendulum, an instant classic for my taste in the dark writing. I'm using that along with some of the SAW films as a refrence for my book Masquerade Massacre.