Dead Poets : Forum : Art not Art

Art not Art

16 Years Ago

Art as I see it, whether graphic or literary, is the effect generated by the image or the words. The work and time that go into a piece are the Craft, like quilting or wood-carving, that anyone can learn if they're willing to put in the time. I do not consider this the Art. To use the Mona Lisa for illustration, even DaVinci's contemporaries could produce Portraits of similar quality, what sets the Mona Lisa apart is the nuance he captured in her expression (of course) plus her anonymity. No-one looks at that dull little painting and says "wow! what great brush strokes and use of color". The paint on the canvas does not make it art. It is the interest generated by the unknowns as implied by the obvious.

So it is with poetry. Lots and lots of words in meter with many clever turns of phrase and pretty adjectives that show off the vocabulary and grammar of the writer look great from an academic perspective. But if the words do not engage readers beyond simple craftiness, plain old words on paper, they do not achieve art. Here is where the gray area starts. Whether a work can be considered Art comes down to the opinion of the work's audience and how much respect the creator has for that audience. Thus, Art is in the exchange, the poem is simply the commodity.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I kind of agree and disagree... I see the craft and the product as one thing... because if your craft is good..but product sucks.. its poor art.. and vice versa..

One thing to take into account though is that poetry.. or art.. is not a science..

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

31 Dumbed Down Flavors And Something That is Not Art!

My scoop has bent my spoon
life's weights crush
catapulted over the threshold of normalcy.
I want ice cream,
but it is 20 below.
I desire good music,
but I am stuck without worthy shows.
If this heart beat continues
its increasing rhythms
I will burst
crawl from my skin
and run a*s naked down the hallway.
Muscles, matter, blood splattered
cream sheened walls
I'll splash my life against these halls
in the most random irrefutably ridiculous manner.
We can call it art when I am through.

----------------------------------------

Now I am one to scream for and at the ant,
One to scream against degenerate thought,
Now folks this is something that is not art!

Exhibit A.
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Exhibit B.
Exhibit C.

The sad thing about this mess on the wall in the Conkling Art gallery at Minnesot State University is these people where coddled and told what they created was introspective. The majority of these students received A�s for these crimes they commited. Now I don�t expect MSU to even be held as a valid or even credible forum for artists to congregate and learn, but this is teaching these people nothing. No offense but a intellectually retarded monkey could paint something with more meaning.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Ohh I suppose the above is my take on something I saw a few months ago while cruising through the hallways at school. Just my take on things.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

lol...I like some of that stuff...that big assemblage of textiles...I think it's explosive, vibrant...
It's all personal taste...in the eye of the beholder..yada, yada...apples and oranges...I mean some of us write some out there avante garde poetry...I sure the more classically inclined people cringe over it...but that does not invalidate us...I think we would all do better to broaden our horizons and investigate, sample and experiment...loosen up our tight asses, lol...in saying this not everything will appeal to everyone...and that's ok...