Dead Poets : Forum : How long do you spend dribblin..

How long do you spend dribbling??

16 Years Ago

How long does it take you to spatter your thoughts onto the page??.. or pavement if you cann't afford paper..??..
Do your poetic musings come out all at once.. with no need to edit refine??....

I spend anything from 2 weeks to a month on mine... not that you can tell..lol... I'm never happy with what I have written.. and once a piece is finished I hate it.. worse than tuna!!.. I guess it's the creating that I like...
what about you guys??

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

As far as the dribble and ill-informed syllabic banter I spew onto porous page, I am really not sure how long it takes me. The majority of things that I have posted on here are artifacts from a very recent, very dark time of my life. I tend to go in spurts with my writing. The reflection of my composition here is from about a year ago when I went on a writing tirade. Most was written off the cuff, blacked out drunk, and pretty much in an anxiety ridden/delusional mindset. As far as the edits, most of these works have never been given a good read through to clean up tense shifts and subtle grammatical miscues. Since I have sobered up I have been going back and fixing the errors in some of the work, but I save my self-proclaimed good stuff for my school-work and to send to publishers, and to feature them on the website I work for called Straybullets.org. No time for a little shameless self promotion. The site is basically the guys version of the Suicide Girls, but with half naked tattooed to the nines dudes instead of sultry lasses. We are in our infancy, and just completed a two month trial run to see what sorts of exposure and attention we would get. We are on hiatus for a few months while we reformat the site, and align interviews with artists, musicians and others. It is quite interesting, and I think that many of you would enjoy it so check it out, there are three issues at this point, but in about a month or two we will be coming back with fervor. Enough shameless promotion this is about our muse, and the way we attend to creating. Lately I have been in a funk, not really doing much, other than writing petty articles for a school paper about water quality and the health insurance woes in the s****y little farm town I live in. I am sober like I said, and the writing doesn�t come as easily to me these days, also I am steadily happy with a lovely lady to call mine, and a new place to live that has really tamed me. I tend to write when I am irate. It is my catalyst, I like expressing myself when I am pissed off through words or music, versus the old me that just went out, got whiskey sprizted drunk and started a fight with the most mindless blokes I could encounter. Those days are past me, and I have begun writing more structured things, such as short fiction � flash would be the proper definitions, more prose poetry, and I have been banging away at a novella that is quickly turning into a full fledged novel. (I have 150 pages worth of character sketchs that I need to do something with for Christ�s sake.) I suppose that is me, most of my stuff is instantly put on paper in the span of a few minutes, and then slowly through time I revise and restructure it to my liking, a big part is the criticism, comments, and feedback that I receive on the writing forums I frequent. Hope this explanation is sufficient.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Time per work is pretty hard to quantify. I usually have at least three in process works at all times so I can shift gears whenever I get stuck on one. Plus, I constantly revise old works as new ideas strike me. SO, I guess it just varies. Some of my popular pieces I've written in five minutes on a muses whim. Some of the pieces I'm most proud of have mutated over many years.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Yeah I do that do!!.. when ever I get writers block I go back and see If I can improve some of my old stuff.. and that will usually spawn something new..

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I guess I'm the odd man out here, so to speak. I usually write off the cuff and then go back for an edit and a tweak..the more I mess with a piece the more I mess it up. Of course there are exceptions. I was a big fan of the quickie contest on another site I belong to...a one word prompt would be given as inspiration and you would have 10 minutes to write a 10 word poem...I found it very stimulating and challenging. You learn how to choose words carefully and get your idea across very succinctly...It's a good exerciseand a lot of my poems have spawned form those little writes.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Whenever I write something I tend to finish it in one sitting � sometimes longer for those trickier pieces.

When I write I�m sometimes unaware of what I�m writing...afterwards I reorder everything to create something more concise. Does this ever happen to anyone else?

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I heear thats how david bowie used to write... he would cut up lines and rearrange them.. into randomness.. but a kind of sane randomness.. I guess I do that to!!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

While it is true that Bowie and other modern writers have used the "Cut-Up" technique to their advantage, I would strongly suggest looking into the early French Surrealism movement and especially a member named Tristan Tzara to see the source. This is where the idea began. It was then given full life by William S. Burroughs and an artist named Brion Gysin in the book "The Third Mind". In it they explore some more bizarre ramifications of cut-up technique, like fortune telling and psychoanalysis. You both may be pleasantly surprised at some of the other directions you can take your work in this area...

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

For me, it all depends on what I'm writing about and how personal the piece is. If its something that I want off my chest, then I usually take about a week just bantering through the original until I go back and shorten it and editing it until it works for me. Other poems I tend to just run through because they're drawn out for me in a sense. And afterwards if I feel like they're not "up to par" I keep them to recognize my mistakes.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Jack Lovelle
While it is true that Bowie and other modern writers have used the "Cut-Up" technique to their advantage, I would strongly suggest looking into the early French Surrealism movement and especially a member named Tristan Tzara to see the source. This is where the idea began. It was then given full life by William S. Burroughs and an artist named Brion Gysin in the book "The Third Mind". In it they explore some more bizarre ramifications of cut-up technique, like fortune telling and psychoanalysis. You both may be pleasantly surprised at some of the other directions you can take your work in this area...

I can across an poet or two from this era, but sadly enough I couldn't read them because they wrote in French - but I'll definately look into more, now that I have a few more author names. ::happy::

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I usually just write whatever and finish it within minutes, depending on if the piece i'm working on is hard. I also re-read it over and over just to make sure it sounds good, but after awhile that bothers me lol. I've written some poems that I'll start but never finish. ::cool::

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Gyne Ryan
Whenever I write something I tend to finish it in one sitting � sometimes longer for those trickier pieces.

When I write I�m sometimes unaware of what I�m writing...afterwards I reorder everything to create something more concise. Does this ever happen to anyone else?

hmm... i have that unawareness while i write... alot actually.. i rarely think

but i never reorder my stuff... and i don;t know how but the majority of my peices i write without thinking come out beautifully... its funny... i've written peices without a theme before.. i've just startd with a random line... then i focus around that and in the end it turns out great...

i guess the 'not thinking' stuff works for me... anyone else has that...

other than that... i mainly write poetry so a peice usually takes from 10 minutes to i guess an hour at most. i don;t spend long on them because once i start i can't stop.. plus i write pretty fast and my minds always goin... its as if the poem is pushing itself out of me... i don't think abt it... i guess its the way of the writer... the peice becomes you.

story's take me from a few hours to years (writer's block KILLS!)... i've been working on three novels over the past 5 yrs... and its because i'm lazy why they're not done... my most recent one "Delirium" (check it out on my profile) is goin on 5 months now.. .and i've only written three parts... lol

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

most of the stuff that i write comes out quite easily. i don't do much editing because most of the editing gets done in my head before i put it onto paper. some things that i write tho i might do a bit, come back to it, do a bit more, leave it for 6 months then come back to it and finish it or throw it in the bin. as to the time that i spend "dribbling" it just happens almost constantly. i am always writing or thinking or running possible lines through my head whether i have a poem under construction or not.