Dragon Slayers-(and other misanthropes) : Forum : what constitutes a good villan

what constitutes a good villian

13 Years Ago

What constitutes a good villian and what qualities do you introduce and when in the story do you reveal them?  i like the Dark and Quiet type ...revealing in skins of an onion ..pealing back the layers in deeds and descriptions of meetings and interactions between his protagonists and his views ..sometimes ..of what He wants...(yes pride plays a strong point in My villians)....so what do ya'll think? ....Sunshine

Re: what constitutes a good villan

13 Years Ago

I think it depends on the story. The right villain can make a story. Think of it this way: what if you put Sauron into the role for Hannibal Lecter? No suspense. No panache. Although, Middle Earth being beset by an all-seeing cannibal who eats the livers of his enemies with fava beans and a nice chianti might have been fun. :)

13 Years Ago

I think I got me the perfect villian, for my story.  He's hate-able from the very beginning.

Re: what constitutes a good villan-Adina

13 Years Ago

I originally started my fantasy story when I was about 14. As I got older, life took one unfortunate turn after another.  The book was never finished, only snippets were written here and there.  Now, at a place in my life with nothing left to lose, I have gotten serious about this story.  I stumbled upon this website at the end of June.  I have been amazed by some of the work on here, and the great people.  If Anyone would like me to review their book, just send me an email, and I'll get to it as soon as I can.  I hope also that you will review me in turn if I review you.  I am very excited about interacting with members of this group and seeing what we can accomplish as fantasy writers!

13 Years Ago

Read a few ideas...here..anyone else want to contribute on VILLANS...antagonists?  heard that the situation defines them..male or female ..actually my female villians are much more ruthless and unconcerned to the plight of their subjects ...targets...I love to have strong women who take control...I like Dominant woman villians...I know so many of them...Wahhaaa....prototypical vampiri and the likes...I love to give them special ugly profiles and abilities....the Guys as well...second question here is which do you prefer to write for ...Male Or Female?

13 Years Ago

I'll write for either. It depends on what the story is. I had a series of stories that I worked on a while back that the antagonist was a female warlord. She was more ruthless, cunning, and evil than any man. The protagonist for the story was also a woman. I may one day finish that thread of stories, but my point is that I write what the story needs. I find that sometimes the most innocuous sequences can lend themselves to important themes.

13 Years Ago

If I the Moderator could enter my villian I would write of the Spider woman in Lakota mystery who has heyoka power reverse power to do by undoing the good.. spells and dances to weave the nets of no empowerment.. of robbing the person of participation by capturing in her web of good intentions and sucking the fluid of "life participation and dreams from them" feeding on their positive energies...inktomi is her name..