Dungeons & Dragons Players. : Forum : What started you with D&D?

What started you with D&D?

16 Years Ago

What started you on Dungeons and Dragons?

What age were you?

Do you play old school or the new online stuff?

What are your favorite books from the Dungeons and Dragon's campaigns?

Longest Campaign played?

Largest group?

Player or Dungeon Master?

Special Memories?

Anything else you want to share about Dungeons and Dragon's?

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Nick A. Lonigro

What age were you?

Longest Campaign played?

Largest group?

Special Memories?

What started me? Well I bought the boxed set of Keep on the Borderlands in the late seventies, I believe or 1980. He played until his death in 2005, and I still do.

How old? 15

I'm classic Pen and Paper. Use DMGenie PC Program to manage though.

The Drizzt Icewindale series.

Longest campaign: 1 1/2 years

Largest Group: 12

I enjoy both, but primarily DM.

Many, most of which are with my father. He had an imagination that was incredable. I could enhance the mood fantasically.

ALso, my F.R. Campaign in Germany, during my Air Force Days, those were some classic characters and some awesome roleplayers that braved the Anauroch Desert for a 1 1/2 years of real time. It was a helluva great run.

I've been with this thing since the beginning from the early days when owned by TSR, I had the "Chainmail Handbook" even, to the current WOC incarnation. I think, in my opinion, the game as been enhanced, and I am also glad that Gary is back. 3.5 was drastic improvement and allowed much needed versitility to the game. Heard rumors of 4.0, but have not seen or read anything on that. Just rumors on certain online threads.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Nice seeing you Micheal.

Yes, I started with the box set too and still have most of its componants. In fact I have a trunk full of campaigns (bought and created by yours truly), characters, various books, and D&D lead figures.

The largest group I DM'd was a 30 person campaign that took 2 and sometimes 3 people to pull off over a 72 straight hour period.

I had one campaign like yours that took well over a year for the guys to complete, which later became the basis for my novel, Tales of Netherron. Of course the novel now bares little resemblance to the campaign.

Most of the group I played with were also hard core SCA (Society from Creative Anachornism), steel re-enactors and such. Most were hard core computer, history, and literature geeks from high school through college. We still get together every once in a while and play a small campaign, along with our kids who have now joined the group. My daughter thought is was the neatest game she has ever played because she had to stop and think, and pay attention. lol. Now my son, the computer wizards likes all his stuff on line.

Good to see you again Micheal. Hows the writing coming along?
Nick.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I have the same collection, twice over. When my dad died a few years ago, I inherited all his collection. Much to my amazement, I found 1st Edition books still in very very good shape. It was two small filing cabinets full, hence now I've got 3 full. I think I've got a majority of the older modules, as well as a few Judge's Guild, remember them?

My kids play now too, my eldest son and daughter. My youngest son (10) is itchin' to play, but I told him to wait until at least 13. I don't play on-line, I have the game Neverwinter's Nights 1 & 2, but I still only play single player. For DMing, I use a program, downloaded for 20.00 called DMGenie, and that's as automated as I get.

Writing wise, I know I've not been in the Wood as of late, but I'm blocked on Realm. And I've been away from home. I'm also currently trying to pen a few short stories, in hopes to get a few published. Most of those belong in the Supernatural Thiller/Horror Genre. I find it difficult to write good fantasy shorts for some reason.

Also, my new Twilight's War and Realm of Shadow were both based off of campaigns I've ran. Changed drastically of course.

Re: What started you with D&D?

9 Years Ago

Originally posted by Nick Anthony

What age were you?

Longest Campaign played?

Largest group?

Special Memories?

I was always interested in learning the game since I was in high school, but due to my parent fearing anything that could be considered cult like (they wouldn't even let me out of the house in dark colors regardless of the fact that I never showed off skin).

It was two months before my 21st birthday that I joined my first campaign and began to learn the game.

We played with pen and paper, and while I have tried the online style, I like pen and paper better, it makes it more personal and easier to truly socialize and get to know the other players and DM in person, plus the inside jokes are much better.

I haven't gotten a chance to really read through them yet due to not being able to get to the nearest comic book store. My husband and I are lacking a vehicle, but we should be able to afford one very soon.

Longest campaign, well the campaign is still going, but due to the DM's wife I'm not really welcomed anymore, even though they still extend the invitation to me. I'd be willing to try to still go to spite her a bit, but I can't get a ride out to the DM's house and none of the other players are willing to pick me up.

There were seven of us counting the DM.

There are a few fond memories that I like to joke about, from that campaign. One was when my gnome cleric decided to buy shoes for the amazon while referring to the amazon as a horse, since the amazon would place her on her shoulders when moving quickly so they wouldn't leave their little cleric behind. 

Another is when a lizard titan that could swallow a gnome whole landed on her side of the barricade, and instead of being afraid, she yells out "Go screw yer mutha!" and thus enrages a lizard sorceress that was behind the titan. My gnome, wielding a vampiric staff that drains her life with each use, knocks the sorceress spell back at her, instantly killing the sorceress. Then, before she can blink, the titan plucks her from the ground and drops her into his mouth, only die by an arrow between the eyes, courtesy of the druid, before he could swallow her.

A final moment from that campaign that I absolutely loved was when my gnome was forced to take on another titan, a sorceress, and 8 lizard footmen by herself. As they stared her down, trapped where she was she attempted to heal herself just as the sorceress struck her with her spell, dropping her hit points below zero. As she started to fall back, her still glowing hand landed on her chest an revived her for thirty more hit points. Thus creating an unintended scare tactic that worked quite well, she smirked at her foes stating the words "Want to try that again?"

As far as anything else to add, my die seem to just love me, or I'm just very lucky.