EGW Group : Forum : Welcome to the EGW Group

Welcome to the EGW Group

15 Years Ago

Big hello 

to all who make it here, this is pretty much your space so make it your own. I put up a test first chap, but dont feel forced to review it. I think its possible for you to add the writing youre interested in having reviewed, if not I'll tweak the settings or if that doesn't work let me know what you want put up. You can also take pieces down too, if you want, when you're done with the review. So maybe that'll work like a booth system. 

What you might want to do first is to get the writing you want reviewed added to your own profile and then add it to the group, and then let people know you'd like it reviewed: you can do this by sending a group message through the mail tab on this forum, or I think "sharing it with friends" on the writing tab. Or of course, just sending an email to people's private email accounts.

By the way, if you want to get those oh-so-dinky little graphics for your writing or profile, you can go to a place like google pictures and search for small or medium pics (big ones sometimes gets scrunched up.) 

Oh, for work you intend to publish, you ought to check the " I only want WritersCafe.org members to be able to see this writing." tick box at the bottom of the screen when you add writing or manage your wiring. That's because some publishers don't like stuff thats already been on the internet (outside of a group). A number of writers I know who've gone on to publish their stuff have done this, so you should have no problem there.

The rating button, this allows people to give you an Amazon style rating to your piece, you can turn this off or on using the check box at the bottom of the same screen I just mentioned above.

If you want to add threads and things you can do so. Some groups use this to add group discussions on a particular piece, in addition to the comments they post on the writing (you can post comments by viewing a writing and just type in).

Copying and pasting work from Word. If like me you use Word, you can normally just copy and past in the window when you add writing, I don't normally have any big issues except for when the site traffic is heavy it can be awfully slow, and sometimes the people who own this site like to do a little open heart surgery on the site (its called maintenance) so definitely back up in word or note pad or something your work when you're adding it or doing reviews as it can be horrible losing work. 

As for adding new members, I suggest we keep the group smallish, say under 15- 20 members, to keep it effective. But if you want to invite someone we can put it to the group, and if most are ok with that then just go ahead and add someone. 

Notifications, if you start to bugged by these you, you can tweak what you want to get in the options on your profile menu.

If the site is not for you, or you want to leave don't feel pressured that you have to stay -- you can after all, still share and exchange with us perfectly well using good old fashioned email. In fact, for poeple who can't get easy and regular access to the internet that might be better. After all, the main thing is the exchanging, not the tools used.

There, that should cover all the basics--so enjoy the group and make it your own.

If you have any questions about using the site, don't hesitate to ask.

L