East Midlands Creative Writing Group : Forum : What are you reading at the mo..

What are you reading at the moment? A chance to share reading recommendations

11 Years Ago

Killing the Shadows, by Val McDermid. The first McDermind I've read but probably won't be the last. It centres on the work of Fiona Cameron, a geographical criminal psychologist, who analyses serial killings to catch the murderer. This time, it's all about a killer who murders best-selling crime writers by re-creating scenes from their novels and then killing them in those settings. Not great on insight but excellent on story-telling. I'm loving every page.                                                                                                                                         The Long Goodbye, by Raymond Chandler. More The Long-winded Read, as it has a meandering plot that doesn't really go anywhere. Great on turns of phrase and hilarious similes but, for me, not much else. I'll be glad when I've finished it.                                                                                                                                                           The Casebook of Sherlock Holmes, by Arthur Conan Doyle. I try to re-read the Holmes canon at least once every five years. These stories are masterclasses in character portrayal, snapshot storylines with superb dénouements.

Re: What are you reading at the moment? A chance to share reading recommendations

11 Years Ago

David Golder - second novel of Irène Némirovsky. I can't imagine that it will top Suite Française (which I thought was brilliant in its subtle slam of French society and its hypocrisies)but you never know. 

Also reading Living with the Enemy (Roy McLoughlin) which is an account of living under Nazi occupation in the Channel Islands (1940-1945). I am reading the French translation of it (Vivre avec l'ennemi).

Have just started both so can't really comment on them yet. I read that Raymond Chandler one a LONG time ago . . . very slow moving if I recall.

Re: What are you reading at the moment? A chance to share reading recommendations

11 Years Ago

I don't read as much as I should, but right now I am reading something called the Cancer Survivors Guide on my new eReader.

11 Years Ago

I am re-reading a couple of old favourites: Lee Harpers - To Kil a Mocking Bird  - And D H Lawrence's - Son's and Lovers. I love DHL and Lee Harpers book has a special meaning for me - so I am thoroughly enjoying some old favourites! As well as reading quite a lot of stuff on the writers cafe of course! And right now this minute I am reading what I am writing....of course! haha!!

11 Years Ago

I am trying to read three thing at the moment. Bird Song as I read Winter in Madrid last year and loved the description of the politics surrounding the Spanish Civil war and Sansom's descriptive narrative and Faulkes is supposed to be similar. For light entertainment I am reading Gerald Seymour's A Deniable Death as I read all of his novels since being captivated but Harry's Game. And lastly I am reading the novella my son has written.

11 Years Ago

Wolf Hall, by Hilary Mantel. The Mind of Mr J G Reeder, by Edgar Wallace. The Truth, by Frank Sepe. The Mantel is marvellous; every time I put it down, I think when am I going to read it again. The Wallace - I'm reading this as a curiosity piece, really fascinating to watch Wallace at work. The Sepe is a health/diet/fitness book: picking up a few tips.

10 Years Ago

The Night Watch, by Sarah Waters. A novel set in the London Blitz, interweaving stories and lives of the various characters. It's told in reverse chronological order, a device whose reason I have yet to fathom.

10 Years Ago

Just finished reading "By Nightfall" by Michael Cunningham. A most beautiful read. In fact, I did something with this that I've never done before, ever. As soon as I'd finished it, I turned back to the beginning and read it again - and then again. Highly recommended.