Existential Driftwood : Forum : Introduce Ourselves?

Introduce Ourselves?

14 Years Ago

So here maybe we should say who we are, etc.

I'm Val.
I've been at the cafe for 3 years. Off and on.
I've been writing a long time.
I secretly wish I was a novelist but poems seem to be the only thing I'm adequate with.
I'll be 25 in March.
I live in California but was raised in West Virginia.
More than anything else, I love writing and lately I ponder the idea of being the muse versus having a muse.
Favorite poet on this site: BJH. Of course.

Re: Introduce Ourselves?

14 Years Ago

My name is Lynne. Seen quite a few sunrises.. Journalist by nature, tried poetry a few months back. Now I'm hooked, line and sinker. I am the new kid on the block here at WC. Wrote  this and that as long as I can remember, but never let my writings see the light of day. Thought they would be no interest to anyone but me. I expect you all to push and pull me so I too one day can be as good as you. Live in the land of sun and palm trees. mother, daughter, sister, friend and free!!!

14 Years Ago

My real name is a secret.. ok not really. But here, I usually call myself Marie. If you have my real name then you know you are special. I am a living contradiction. First I am a scientist, then an artist, then a writer. I piss everyone off. Animals like me better than most people do. I have been on the site over a year, but really only active since May of 2009. I used to perform my stories for an Open Mic night, and enjoyed it. I have a minor in English Lit. and that is my only "real" training. I am an avid reader, and I write boring technical stuff for work. I often write about the natural world, because that is where I go when I am lost. As for other members of this group? CHL is my favorite writer. Lynne keeps me sane (how's that for irony, sister?) And Lonestar66 encouraged me to stay with the site back in May, when I didn't think anyone would ever be interested in anything I write. I like to read and review. A lot. But I have a job that takes up a lot of time and I am pursuing a Master's Degree. I sometimes go weeks without responding. This is normal. I do get there.  

14 Years Ago

I'm the flying pig known as Legion.  My real name is Jim, but my friends all call me Jim (a nod out to Mel Brooks).  I write in all kinds of styles (except novel - no patience for it yet).  Been on the Cafe for about 3 years or so and am on and off a bit of late due to life stuff outside this box.  Not much else at the moment except a word of advice.  Don't eat pork.

14 Years Ago

Hi.
My name is Daniel and I do not know how long I've been on this site.
My writing is novels as I don't have the gift for poetry.
I play both the fiddle and the violin.
Most people I know would describe me as a negative person but I don't agree. I just balance out my less then extensive optimism with my more then extensive negativity.
I been told that I show a decent degree of Machiavellian-ism but i'm not sure about that.
Above most other things I enjoy to write, but at the same time I hate doing it on my computer.
I have a small collection of older machines, the oldest being an electric typewriter that still works.
The two people I would call my heroes are Sam Fisher and Natalie Macmaster.

And that's about it for me.  

14 Years Ago

Hello. I'm Vesa.
I've been on Writers Cafe for a little over a year.
As far as my writing goes...I'm just trying to keep up with all the amazing talent on here. ^-^
I wrote poems from age 6 to 11 simple because I liked the way they sounded when I was finished.
And ever since I can remember I was the storyteller when bedtime came.
After I grew a little older, I tried short stories, prose and a little spoken word; but it wasn't until I began writing about my own experiences that I found my "voice".
Since then I have tried a little of everything. Aside from those, I have no other credentials.
I am driven by my need to be unique; in my writing, thoughts, and everyday life.
I'd rather not write for a living; in my opinion it would make writing a chore and steal away all the pleasure.

Sometimes I wish I could be a flower selling Philosopher.

Ok...I'm not sure how to end this, so I'll just say this:
If not for my family, friends, and a few special members here on the Cafe, I would not be so motivated to improve. A hearty "thank you" to those who continue to encourage me. *smile*

14 Years Ago

I'm Ashley, to be honest I have no clue how long i've been a member of this fine establishment...I write mostly poetry and short stories. I would love to write a novel but i'm too scared of commitment and very impatient so until i cure those minor details a novel is just a dream in the distance.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
BjH

14 Years Ago

Hello All

My name is Benjamin John Haigh

And my favourite writer on the Café is BJH.

14 Years Ago

HI all
I've been on the cafe for a yearish but became mofo active for the last few months.. I've met lots of good people who are becoming great friends.. Hope all of us driftwood, drift into  2010 with great force...  LLR

14 Years Ago

I'm GBU..alter ego to another writer but not as active. I publish almost exclusively ~~poetry.. I'm looking forward to 2010..it should be full of creative juices for me and hopefully for all you other EDs...

14 Years Ago

I'm Sorry.
I have been on the cafe since 2007, was recruited over by a fellow poet on elite skills and have only looked back once or twice since, All you will find on here penned by me are poems, most of them about dysfunctional homo sapiens because that is what makes our world go round and round. The subject matter is endless. Perhaps one day I will be brave enough to post one of my short stories...
Perhaps this group will be the stepping stone I need.
ta ta for now...

14 Years Ago

Hello everyone in this group.

My nom de guerre was once suggested to me by my best friend in Wales, a refined poet whom I hope will join these pages one day. My real name will remain in the shadow for a while. No conceited fostering of mystery, but just because in a world where everybody seems to have lost any consideration of discretion, I walk short steps and take my time to ponder and reveal about myself.

I moved to New York City from Italy nine months ago, working as a language teacher, but pursuing the dream to become a writer. I write poetry in English and I'm working on a few short stories in my native language only, for now. I have taken part in a couple of open mic readings in Manhattan recently, so I hope to exchange useful information with other newyorkers in the group (if there are any, of course) about similar events in the city.

I don't write as a hobby or as the 'look-how-clever-I-am' card to be played when chatting up women. I do write because I think and feel that a writer, a true writer, like any other true artist, is driven by a vocation, a mission to preserve the eternal quest for beauty inside and outside of our souls. And beauty can be found both in light and darkness.

Needless to say that I hope to get published some day soon.

I also trust that being part of this group will help me grow as a poet by exchanging suggestions and ideas with all of you and I want to thank Lynne once again for inviting me to become a member of this 'lively poets' society'.

Bless,
Dr Poet

14 Years Ago

Known throughout the Cafe as "The Lonestar" (formerly Lonestar66), Chris has been writing on-site for about eight months. Classically trained as a deep-south redneck, he disappointed his family by going out into the world and attempting to make something of himself. He began writing at an early age when his parents (in an obvious oversight) gave him a "Kiddie" typewriter for Christmas. Thus, his writing career began with stories about Stephen Darkwood, Captain of the Space Marines Blue Beret Corps. Upon showing his masterful works to his family (at the ripe old age of 6), his works were dealt with in the obviously best way any of his writing should be: apathy and ridicule.

Shortly after his failure, the cheap plastic typewriter was removed from his possession (actually..."destroyed" is the more appropriate word). He wrote in secret to amuse himself (and that's all he did to amuse himself...get your mind out of the gutter!) until grade school, when an ill-fated assignment made him write a story for the class. He was highly praised for the work and thus began the decline of his professional writing career.

Now convinced that he had some mediocre talent, he began writing all the time, creating a voice for himself that no one would be able to drum out of him. The mere scratchings of his pen or typings on the keyboard were enough to send his siblings into a salivating frenzy, trying time after time to keep him from unleashing his mediocrity upon the world.

Their attempts failed, however, and Chris finally penned his first full-length novel, Dragonfaerie, which is the first installment of the series The Guardians of Enoch. Unaware (or uncaring) of his lack of actual talent, Chris has unleashed this monstrosity upon the world by publishing it on the Cafe and seeking an agent to represent him. Fortunately, no agent has been crazy enough to actually pick it up.

Today, Chris spends most of his time writing equally lamentable poetry and the occasional story, desperately ignoring the fact that his writing career should have remained simply as mental masturbation.

14 Years Ago

My name is Kristina.  I have been on the WC for 4 months. I started writing because of the things that were happening in my life at the time.   I am not a writer.  What I do is put my feelings down on paper.  I cannot even hold a candle to what most of the people on this site can do.  What I am is a photographer.  I am here to learn, grow, and express myself. I am sure that I will learn lots from each and everyone of you.

14 Years Ago

Hello. My name is Charles and I am a 20-year-old writer in Long Beach, Califonia. It is difficult to describe myself, so I will lay out some facts. I have written and published three books, collections of poems. A Rose in the Name Of Love, Angel's passion, and The Flower That Wasn't Meant To Blossom.  I have an addiction to romance movies, poker, and music. I love words... Moreover, I love the challenge of trying to bend and manipulate words to convey a point.

14 Years Ago

Please No CSS Well, I guess I’m the last member to post a reply, only because I suck at customer service work and things like this make me extremely nervous haha. My name is Eric, I’ve been on W.C. for just over a year now, and like everyone else I’ve been writing for a very long time.   I try to change my writing style a lot, but nearly all of my writing is from life experiences. That’s not really special though, I just wanted to add that. Ummm well that’s all I can think of at 1:50 in the morning.   I sometimes imagine that I can stand outside and fade into the light….