Classics

11 Years Ago

Do any of you read Classic Literature?

Re: Classics

11 Years Ago

I do, hehehe

11 Years Ago

I read the classics, once I was bored so I read The Scarlett Letter, not very entertaining, I mean, you guess that the preacher guy is the dad a little into it. I really like A Coneticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court by Mark twain. It's extremely entertaining and has a unique view of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I highly reccomend it!

11 Years Ago

Yes.  The Alice books are my favorite and a lot of EA Poe (i.e."The Masque of the Red Death").  They're all good reads, though Poe's writing can be disturbing...especially his short stories...but he's a Gothic writer, so....

Any of Shakespeare's non-historical works (I haven't read any of his histories, so I can't say how much I like them), if you read plays, but I wasn't sure if we were only talking about books.

11 Years Ago

Originally posted by Writer #00
Yes.  The Alice books are my favorite and a lot of EA Poe (i.e."The Masque of the Red Death").  They're all good reads, though Poe's writing can be disturbing...especially his short stories...but he's a Gothic writer, so....

Any of Shakespeare's non-historical works (I haven't read any of his histories, so I can't say how much I like them), if you read plays, but I wasn't sure if we were only talking about books.

I'm a fan of Alice books also but not much of Edgar Allan Poe(:

11 Years Ago

Originally posted by CreativeCookie
I read the classics, once I was bored so I read The Scarlett Letter, not very entertaining, I mean, you guess that the preacher guy is the dad a little into it. I really like A Coneticut Yankee In King Arthur's Court by Mark twain. It's extremely entertaining and has a unique view of King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table. I highly reccomend it!

Really? I got hooked on King Arthur stories before, and yes, maybe I'll try this, if I find it somewhere in Book Sale

11 Years Ago

Define "Literature."  I think this depends a bit on if you have been schooled in contemporary western thought and upon the country and academic environment.  I am aware of what this might mean for the United States as that is where my Earth avatar exists but it probably is different for others.  For example, the European continent, the Middle East, Central and South America, Africa and Asia; every society that has a written language and a history spanning centuries most likely has their own take on what defines "Literature."

So, again, what classics are to anchor our thoughts in for this forum's discussion?

-Ufi