Fantasy and Science Fiction Discussion : Forum : Welcome! (Slash Introductions..

Welcome! (Slash Introductions)

16 Years Ago

Welcome to the Fantasy and Science Fiction Discussion Group!  Yes, I know it's a mouthful, and not all that fun to say, but at least it has a point.

Hopefully, this is the first topic you read.  If it isn't, that's not a problem, it just means that there are more than one threads here.  That's a good thing, and very welcome.  Just introduce yourself here.  We'll make sure to welcome you properly.

I'm Ranuu.  I'm into all sorts of artistic things.  Mostly writing and acting, though I've taught myself to play a few instruments (guitar and piano) and I'm in some art classes.  I'm social, and I do well in front of audiences.  I love video games, but not the sports games... I'm a sucker for an RPG with a good story.  (Mass Effect is one of my favorite games ever).

I'm 18.  That's a big deal to me.  But I'm not sure where I'm going.  That's also a big deal.  It's scary, to be honest.  But that's my deal.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Howdy,

I'm Anthony, but in the world of writing I am generally known as A J.

Science Fiction and Fantasy are my life (well...ok...80% of my life). I play scifi and fantasy video games like there's no tomorrow (Half Life 2 and Bioshock are AWESOME and I too love RPGs). I'll watch any sci-fi or fantasy tv show (here is a small list of my favorites: all the stargates, most of the star treks, smallville, Eureka, dr. Who, etc etc in saecula saeculorum). I read all the speculative fiction I can get my hands on. I also write in that category mostly.

I'm 17 and in college studying for a Literature major, with an emphasis on 20th and 21st century literature.

Well that's me; I hope y'all don't find me too boring.

PS. I'm a rebel ;)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

If you've read my 'The End is Here' story, you can tell I loved Bioshock.  Rapture was my inspiration for Oasis, but I didn't rip it off =)

Anyway, welcome to the group!  It's good to have another member, especially this quickly.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

My name's Romana, and if you are a Doctor Who fan, that seriously is my name.  My parents are scifi and fantasy fans so it's in my blood.  I love both genres very much.  I like writing both also, for fantasy, check out my story The Confessions of Danan and scifi, check out The Priceless Princess

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Welcome.  I can't say I know much about Dr. Who, but it's good to have someone who was 'raised' in the art.  I came into it on my own.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hello!
My name is Kristen. I'm 19. I'm new to the site, so I figured I ought to find some people with similar interests. And after reading your intros...it seems this group might be it.

I'm a college student, but my mind is so scattered that I'm pretty sure whatever degree I get won't matter. I write all the time. Pretty much all the time anyway. I have 2 books finished, both fantasy, and I'm working on sequels for each. I have about 6 other outlined fantasy books, and not nearly enough time to write them all.

I play a lot of the same games you guys listed, but lately video games have taken a back seat in my schedule.

Hmm. nothing else to say really. Nice to meet you all =]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Welcome to the group, Kristen =) it's nice to have you here.  So far, it seems we have some good members for this group, and I'm sure that you'll fit in very well.

I'm a senior in high school, but I'm looking forward to college.  What are you majoring in?  I'm interested in becoming a novelist or some sort of author, but I'm focusing on Journalism to keep me alive financially until that career takes off.  In fact, college almost seems unnecessary.

I understand the video game thing.  As I said, I'm only in high school, and I can only play for a little bit on the weekends.  It kinda sucks.

Anyway, welcome again to the group, and welcome to the site.  I hope to see a lot of activity from you, and hope you find what you're looking for.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hey, I'm Chris, you can call me Chris or my profile name, doesn't matter. I love reading fantasy and writing science fiction. I don't watch TV all that much, and when I play video games its mostly modern, with the exception of Halo. I am well-versed in history and like to re-align the facts in different ways. For the most part I use history to explain the future, in my stories at least. 

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Cool. History-based scifi and fantasy was something I was never good at. I'm more of a "accept it, or else" type of writer, though I can get into scientific reasons a bit.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

George Santayana once said "Those who do not learn from history are doomed to repeat it."  This has proved true time and time again, and coincides with the phrase 'history repeats itself', because few people actually learn the lessons of the past.

I like to base some of my writing in and off of that principal.  I think that writers with a good grasp of history are some of the best.  Welcome to the group, and it's good to have you here =)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hello! My name is Marilynjay. I hope it's alright to post here even though it's an old thread.
First off let me say that if someone gives me a review, they can expect a review back :). I think it's only fair.
    But anyways, I really enjoy sci-fi and fantasy - like Star Wars, LOTR, Chronicles of Narnia, Naruto, Ender's Game, Chronicles of Narnia, Avatar -  those types of stories. Oh! And I love Disney - that's important!
    Sooo, I am a serious writer, though I'm taking it at a leisurely pace at the moment, what with classes to deal with. One of my huge goals in life is to get a book published. I'm working on a story called Tuxedo now. Generally I get a couple ideas for stories/scenes (usually scenes) every day that keep me amused when waiting in lines and such... does that happen for the rest of you?
    Other than that, I like to snowboard, *love* the color pink, have a cat, and I like to draw - mostly manga-styled (like my avatar), and I like Japanese (konnichi wa minasan). Alright, enough about me! ^.^

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Welcome, welcome, welcome =) it's always nice to have a new member.  Don't worry about posting here; the thread is for introductions, after all.  It's unfortunate that only about a third of the members have used it.

I like to consider myself a hardcore writer, very serious about what I do, but I find myself writing less often.  Still, when I do write, I find that I write better stuff... so it's a trade-off.  For example, 'The End is Here', which is probably the greatest story I've ever written, was a flash of inspiration one day, and the first draft was probably written in a half hour.

I'm attempting to learn how to draw/paint/art...stuff.  I'm not terrible (ranuu.deviantart.com) but not great, and definitely not up to your standards.  Did you actually draw your avatar, or were you using that as an example?  .-.

Oh, and Nihongo yoku hanasemasen.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hey there, my name is Ryan D. Mosley. I just joined. I wrote a goos sci-fi story called The Phoenix...review please. I'm gonna hopefully review some of this group's work.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Welcome Ryan, it's nice to have another introduction.  I'm afraid I didn't learn that much from your introduction, unfortunately.  Not that it matters.

I don't have much time online, but I'll definitely try to get around to reviewing your story =)

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I just joined up here, I'm joining some other groups now as I'm getting more serious in writing Ouallion Daris(my creation) and Penta of Darkness(is my newest creation in the works). Both are books that I plan to finish and each are far from it, one is JUST started and the other is into it some but far from it. I don't plan to really edit or overview it until I finish the books. So typos and so on are no doubt to be found. As well as I'm not the greatest at puncutation or spelling. I have time to grow and I feel myself I've improved simply just by reading things like Anne Rice, Tanya Huff and so on. The stories inspired me to type more and continue my story.

I'm into all kinds of things but pretty much anything supernatural is my fancy. I am very much into werewolves, wolves, dogs and anything similar but vampires are second up there. I write stupid s**t since I've been about eight but only the last year or so have I started writing again and trying to really write and make a story. I got ways to go before I'm great but I do want to get more serious as time goes on and if the other two books are a hit. They'll have sequels. I actually have an idea for a sequel for the Ouallion Daris one(The Scales Of Time) and Penta Of Darkness is still up in the air for sequel ideas if I do but for now it is  God's Way?(the book 1 title) As well as PoD: GW are still subject to change if I think of something better.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Good to meet you =) it's always good to meet another person who's really serious about his/her writing.

You have some good ideas for names, I like that.  It's tiring to see all these titles that have cliches in them (Dragon and Chronicles are words that I don't want to see in titles again for a while). 

Oh, and don't worry about not being very far along in your writing yet.  None of us are, really.  If we were, we wouldn't need this board, we'd have people to do it.  And personally, I never edit something until I'm finished with it.  You don't really know where you're going with a story (not for sure) until it's done, and that's the best time to tweak earlier chapters to move toward that.  That's what I did with The End is Here.  I rewrote it twice, but only after I'd finished it.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Originally posted by Ranuu

Good to meet you =) it's always good to meet another person who's really serious about his/her writing.

You have some good ideas for names, I like that.  It's tiring to see all these titles that have cliches in them (Dragon and Chronicles are words that I don't want to see in titles again for a while). 

Oh, and don't worry about not being very far along in your writing yet.  None of us are, really.  If we were, we wouldn't need this board, we'd have people to do it.  And personally, I never edit something until I'm finished with it.  You don't really know where you're going with a story (not for sure) until it's done, and that's the best time to tweak earlier chapters to move toward that.  That's what I did with The End is Here.  I rewrote it twice, but only after I'd finished it.

His in my case. Thanks for the welcome. Nice to meet you too.

Yeah I tried to make more unique at least series names if nothing else. I did have less unique names when I was just doing fan fictions but I want something that jumps off the page at you or makes you think 'interesting name.' As well each title has a meaning to the story in a direct or indirect way. Ouallion Daris is the land name and supposely a God or THE God in the land. So it is a major thing to every race in each province. The Scales Of Time has quite a few meanings to it from the reincarnation myth, the journalist/scholar main character writing his events down during the story, the fact the main character is the draconian (part dragon - part human, hence scaled person.) and so on.

Penta of Darkness isn't really revealed why it is called that yet but it will even if it could be tweaked and God's Way? is cause you got a vigilante claiming to be doing God's work that is killing the 'sinful' among other couple reasons or so.

I figured it was the best because than you can tweak anything that was faulted in earlier chapters (I noticed something I wrote once that I cut cause it conflicted a later chapter [blame being tired for that]) and usually re-reading can spot typos or things you must spell better or what not. As well as my format of writing changes overtime. Not really my style much though, just an improved verison of it. I remember on my first story in that I wrote based on a pc game that I played (that at the time cause I was young, eight probably, scared the bejeezus out of me. Now I would laugh at it.) I had not one period or anything. So I've come along way that even my faults now at least is very much readable. Plus once it is done I'll heavily go over it but any reviews pointing out typos or mispelled words will be looked upon and  I'll get to editing them before the end otherwise until the end and a long re-read I won't really do much editing. (Though if anyone reads, even a simple you like it or don't is a good review, it shows people are reading it. lol)

Okay done boring you all with my rambles and going to think about starting Chapter 10 for Ouallion Daris now.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hello!

My name is Shannon, and I'm a fifteen year old girl from Scotland. I love to read and write, and I love to draw (both on paper and on the computer). I'm known for making huge introduction posts on forums, so I'll try to keep this one short. When I'm older, I want to work in the webdesign field, and I hope to publish a book or two in my spare time.

I love my friends. I simply couldn't ever live without them; I would fall into a deep, dark cave of depression and - yeah, I'm rambling.

Well, there we go. That's a pretty simple patch of info about me. Nice to meet you all :]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Hi I'm Josh and weighing in at 43 years I feel a bit of an old git. 

I've played a few video games in my time, I was one of the first Brits to play that old MMO called Asheron's Call and I got a tad addicted to Jade Empire, KotOR and The Ocarina of Time.  Nowadays though, I'm too busy painting, writing stuff, listening to loud dischordant music and working, to play.

After writing some cyberpunk and high fantasy, I was challenged to have a go at horror.  Unfortunately, each time I try it all goes a bit slipstream.

My favourite reading material, apart from Umberto Eco and Primo Levi, is mythology; ever since I read an abridged copy of The Odyssey when I was seven. 

That's about it.  

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Welcome to both of you from across the Atlantic!  It's always great to branch out a group to more variety, which another country always introduces.

So you're a Bioware fan, Josh?  So am I.  What did you think of Mass Effect?  Or have you played it yet?

First Page first
Previous Page prev