Fast Food Fiction : Forum : Fast Food What?

[reply] [quote]

Fast Food What?

16 Years Ago

A little over a year ago, someone handed me a locally-published book entitled, "Fast Food Fiction: Short Short Stories to Go." It was a compilation of short fictional works by various local writers with each having a word count not exceeding 500 --- well, at least save two.

Thus, the short short story genre was introduced to me for the very first time.

The editor of that book (Noelle de Jesus) confessed that the idea was, by no means, an original. She claimed that she, herself, was inspired by various other publications:
Sudden Fiction
Sudden Fiction: Continued
Sudden Fiction International
--- all fiction anthologies edited by Robert Shapard and James Thomas
Flash Fiction
--- a collection of short fiction edited by James Thomas and Tom Hazuka

So you see, this type of fiction has been around for quite a while already. And it is quite distinct from the more conventional short stories we are quite used to.

Perhaps the most famous piece belonging to this genre is that of Ernest Hemingway. His is but a six-word literary creation:

For Sale: Baby Shoes, Never Worn

That is all.

In relation to this, WIRED magazine decided to dare some well-known contemporary writers to make their own six-word masterpieces. Here's the article:

(Go ahead. Marvel at what they ended up creating. Some are very interesting. Some are quite funny!)

That, ladies and gentlemen, is my brief introduction to what is it exactly this group hopes to promote and enjoy. A unique breed of fiction intended to express a wide range of human experience and emotion in the most brief form possible. This, while retaining the colorful and creative quality that conventional fiction-writing allows us.

I hope you enjoy your stay in Fast Food Fiction!

Now, why don't you have a seat and grab a bite!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

This is one of my favorite types of writing and I was surprised to learn there is a group for it. I think I'm really going to enjoy this ... :)
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

lol. you and me both. ::biggrin::
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Wonderful! My favorite type of writing.
Suzanne ::biggrin::