Fear and Magic. : Forum : I want your views on my next c..

[reply] [quote]

I want your views on my next contest.

13 Years Ago

I've created a few contests now, and I've always gotten a great response, but for the next one I'd like your opinions, and suggestions, what should it be about, how long it should be around for, etc. etc
[reply] [quote]

Re: I want your views on my next contest.

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Thomas Fitzgerald
I've created a few contests now, and I've always gotten a great response, but for the next one I'd like your opinions, and suggestions, what should it be about, how long it should be around for, etc. etc
I think contests are great. A few suggestions though, I think a contest should not be just submissions pulled out of the files that may or not match the theme completely. I think the rules such be set so that a writer has to commit to creating (or at least revising) a work to meet the rules. I also think contests should be either Poetry or Prose. The prose writers stand slimer voting chances because voters dont often commit to reading larger works. I also think that the contest "owner" should disqualify pieces that dont meet the criteria...I humbly lost a contest to a winner whose work didnt fit the criteria, but voters "liked" it. (ok I may be bitter about that LOL). So to summarize my little rant: * the topic should be specific with things that must be included/met "the work should be new (not a repost from months ago) * Prose or poetry but not both *Contest owner should dismiss anything not meeting the criteria * Contest owner should select the "best 3 for voting" * Submission time should be two weeks, voting one week * oh and no "lost love pieces, broken heart pieces, I remember my sweet grandmother pieces or Im just looking for love pieces"...there plenty of that on Writers cafe  and its just too obvious :)

[reply] [quote]

Re: I want your views on my next contest.

12 Years Ago

as to wat kind i think it should be fantasy or romance. as for how long 2 poems story ect per person. maybe a month long.