Gathering Stars : Forum : WELCOME TO GATHERING STARS!

WELCOME TO GATHERING STARS!

15 Years Ago

In the movie 'Dead Poet's Society', Robin William's character, an English teacher, says to his classroom of 17 year old boys-

"We don't read and write poetry because it's cute. We read and write poetry because we are members of the human race. And the human race is filled with passion. And medicine, law, business, engineering, these are noble pursuits and necessary to sustain life. But poetry, beauty, romance, love, these are what we stay alive for. To quote from Whitman, "O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring; of the endless trains of the faithless... of cities filled with the foolish; what good amid these, O me, O life?" Answer. That you are here - that life exists, and identity; that the powerful play goes on and you may contribute a verse."

I truly believe that the meaning of life is to contradict ourselves.  Overall the characteristics that make up our race are self-destructive, cruel, and wasteful, yet among these traits compassion, hope, grace, and love continue to exist.  Our purpose then lies in finding our own methods of overcoming those overall distasteful characteristics to be better than what we were created to be.

As writers, it is our pleasure and duty to chronicle the events of our history.  We exist as the only sentient forms of life on this planet with such advanced forms of communication.  Whether you're commenting on the curtains or on the inauguration of the first black president of one of the most powerful/influential countries on this planet, everything is important.  THIS MOMENT IN HISTORY WILL NEVER EXIST AGAIN!

Now, that does not give us license to misuse our gifts.  Writing is a tool, a craft, something to be weilded with utmost care and precision.  Future generations won't remember the kid in the bathroom stall bemoaning the fact that Ms. Homecoming doesn't like him, but Thoreau, Whitman, Twain, Austen, Emerson....these names will continue to mean something for centuries to come.

This is a forum created specifically for those I think have the talent and heartfelt desire to contribute a powerful and meaningful verse to this life.  I want a place to converse with passionate people because of my own passion and love for writing.  I called this place and myself Gathering Stars because I can't imagine a more awesome sight than all of the light in the universe brought together in one place-and I can't imagine a more awesome feeling than the light of such talent converging in a single place.

Most Sincerely Yours,

Gathering Stars