Homeless Writers (the Window Is Down) : Forum : World Building

World Building

13 Years Ago

If you want to write a fantasy in a brand new world for NaNoWriMo, the time to start is now. Give yourself plenty of time. If you want to make a world for any other reason, you can do the same thing. Anyway, I have an awesome tip more drawing maps:
IF you have Google Earth, zoom way in on it, and set it scrolling randomly. Stop once you're over landand somewhere there will be a splodge you can use for a continent. I find Chad an invaluable resource. Zoom out or in again, find a river, and trace it over. Anything! If you don't have GE, grab a large atlas and try it anyway.

[no subject]

13 Years Ago

I find that my imagination works quite well for maps: I draw my own. Also, why do you need a continent or a world for your stories, just write the thing. But it does help me to visualize journeys or paths, so I guess...yeah, whatever...

[no subject]

13 Years Ago

You don't need to. It was a suggestion.
And some people find that it's the other way around: the idea comes from the map.
Finally, please tell me when someone yells at you for putting the kitchen where the bedroom was, or a town three days away when going there and 10 on the way back.

[no subject]

13 Years Ago

Um... when is NaNoMo thingy?
Sorry, I've never entered it before.