I Challenge You : Forum : Getting to Know you

[reply] [quote]

Getting to Know you

13 Years Ago

Tell us something about your writing style and how you got into writing?
[reply] [quote]

Re: Getting to Know you

13 Years Ago

As for me, I began really getting into writing in the sixth grade when one of my teachers created a poetry group that I was forced to participate in. It turns out that I ended up loving it despite how much I was dreading it before hand. Usually when I write I feel inspired by doom and tragedy. I guess it's because I feel like people really show their true colors when they're forced to face those kind of situations. I'm also inspired by anarchy and escaping cages society traps people in. I tend to write poetry at really random times, and somehow my best poetry is created in those random bursts of inspiration :)
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I started writing when I was about 16, I think. A friend of mine offered to let me read his poems, and I remember thinking, "People actually do this? I could probably do this." And then I wrote my first poem.

I don't know why I keep up with it, really. It's entertaining, and I love hearing about what others find in the literary junkyard I keep throwing stuff into. If people stopped looking, I'd surely stop. I live every single day in danger of never writing again. :)
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Elizabeth Fiske
As for me, I began really getting into writing in the sixth grade when one of my teachers created a poetry group that I was forced to participate in. It turns out that I ended up loving it despite how much I was dreading it before hand. Usually when I write I feel inspired by doom and tragedy. I guess it's because I feel like people really show their true colors when they're forced to face those kind of situations. I'm also inspired by anarchy and escaping cages society traps people in. I tend to write poetry at really random times, and somehow my best poetry is created in those random bursts of inspiration :)

Creative writing class got me into poetry as well, but I had a crush on my teacher so she could have gotten me to fly paper airplanes for a living if she wanted too.  I feel your inspiration is a good one, there is a lot of energy and feelings wrapped into Doom and tragedy as well as anarchy.  Your an inspirational writer, what would you do if your inspiration ran out?
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by V. Blake
I started writing when I was about 16, I think. A friend of mine offered to let me read his poems, and I remember thinking, "People actually do this? I could probably do this." And then I wrote my first poem.

I don't know why I keep up with it, really. It's entertaining, and I love hearing about what others find in the literary junkyard I keep throwing stuff into. If people stopped looking, I'd surely stop. I live every single day in danger of never writing again. :)

You started at a young age as well I fell it shows in the maturity of your work.  I ask the same question night after night that I am on this site, why do I do it but it is truly a joy.  I use to never read but now I read all the time day and night because of WC and the writers who create magic here.  I will have to make sure to always have time to review your work so then you will have no need to stop :)
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by SpokenWord
Creative writing class got me into poetry as well, but I had a crush on my teacher so she could have gotten me to fly paper airplanes for a living if she wanted too.  I feel your inspiration is a good one, there is a lot of energy and feelings wrapped into Doom and tragedy as well as anarchy.  Your an inspirational writer, what would you do if your inspiration ran out?

Well, that's a good question...I guess I would keep searching for new inspiration. I think the world is gold just waiting to be harvested, and that it will always provide excitement and mysteries that would inspire me to create something...
Whether or not the world would continue to provide excitement and mystery doesn't really matter, now that I think about it; just living is inspiration to create something with my heart, soul, and mind. After all, where there is a heart, there is a chance for it to be broken.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Not much to tell here.  I've always written as a way to express my thoughts.  Poetry is new to me, I just started about a year ago.  I like writing about relationships, not just from a personal standpoint, but from an observational one.  I'm a watcher.  No one IRL knows that I write, I do so anonymously here, using a pen name.  I am sure that I would shock the hell out of most of the people I know if they read what I write.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by LA Lorena
Not much to tell here.  I've always written as a way to express my thoughts.  Poetry is new to me, I just started about a year ago.  I like writing about relationships, not just from a personal standpoint, but from an observational one.  I'm a watcher.  No one IRL knows that I write, I do so anonymously here, using a pen name.  I am sure that I would shock the hell out of most of the people I know if they read what I write.

I find it easier for me to write from my heart and soul when I know my real life in the flesh friends or family will not be able to read what I write.  When ever I had a real life friend in the flesh read my work on line it made me hesitant to truly write as they were judging my words and motivations.   So a pen name I completely understand that.  Your poetry is great no matter how long you have been writing it, well I have been enjoying it like you have been writing for years!
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Elizabeth Fiske
Originally posted by SpokenWord

Well, that's a good question...I guess I would keep searching for new inspiration. I think the world is gold just waiting to be harvested, and that it will always provide excitement and mysteries that would inspire me to create something...
Whether or not the world would continue to provide excitement and mystery doesn't really matter, now that I think about it; just living is inspiration to create something with my heart, soul, and mind. After all, where there is a heart, there is a chance for it to be broken.

It is good to know this about yourself just in case your Muse goes on vacation and it happens around here all the time.  Many writers are missing their inspiration. 
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ju
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

literature and art were the only subjects i enjoyed at school. i focused on the art because my spelling is so bad- it really slows me down. there was no place for that at school. i still did ok- just because i enjoyed reading and writing, i'd spend lots of extra time on projects etc. i kept a diary when i was 15/16ish and that was it. nothing more 'til Aug 09- and very little 'til sept last year. that's when the poetry bug bit me good and proper. i'm usually trying to fathom things out or convey thoughts, tell stories, when i write. half of the message will be between the lines. i don't try to write big, punchy, dramatic poems (well, not often) i wasn't made or broken by a run of direct hits. it's the near misses that made me. it's the near misses i write about most.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I always had an artsy soul. Out of them all, writing seemed to stick and it seemed to work. Besides writing I love acting, and am supposedly not bad at it. Every now and then I would show my writing to others via social networking sites, only to get to know that barely anyone takes the time to read it. I had it how illiterate the new age is...
I like to write for my own pleasures. If I like it, then I couldn't care less.
Writing style? Hmmm... it depends on my mood, type of work, etc. I like to taste a bit of this and that and then mix those two into a whole sauce, which tastes delicious.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

I write about many things- I always loved reading since forever so it was only natural for me to try my hand at writing ... I am very amateur and have no illusions of being a poet type of poet.
I started writing about fourth grade - i discovered boys a few years later and the writing stopped... then one of the boys i discovered broke my little heart and i wrote again ... a very emo , as they call it, poem of heartache, break and all that goes with a first broken heart.. I don't have a lot of time for writing but i still write a quick- quack here and there, a pop out poem in other words, it just comes into my head and pops out here.
I see so many GOOD writers in this group... and good luck SW- so far it is going great.
Many very good poems from the picture prompt i missed! Dang it lol

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
ju
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by LA Lorena
No one IRL knows that I write, I do so anonymously here, using a pen name.  I am sure that I would shock the hell out of most of the people I know if they read what I write.

a few people knew i was writing- fewer got to see what i wrote. recently i put my writng out in the big, wide (real) world. the strangest reaction i've had is being told that i shouldn't link "ju" to the real me- because i'll bring shame on my family. hummmm, well. too late. real-peeps can find "ju" but at the moment the traffic's one-way. it's been interesting, to say the least- i'm just not a poety-type. most people are shocked that i CAN write- let alone that i do :)
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Well my style varies from time to time, the only thing that stays constant is the subject matter, I write a lot about the darker emotions, and thoughts of the inner mind. I find fear, hate and taboo subjects inviting, they alway stir a response, not alway a good one, but a response non the less. I use rhyme a lot in my poetry also. i got into writing because I love of all things vampire, I've even created my own, very dark vampire "Adrian".
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Er...um....me huh? Well hm...wrote and told lots of stories when I was a kid (much to my mum's chagrin)...wrote poetry in High School...then took about 10 years off through out my 20's. Turned 30 and got the itch to write again...and well...it's my obsession, my addiction, my hope for a better future.

Love experimental writing...love to push myself out of my comfy box.

Thanks for askin!!
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Well....I started writing because I have always loved reading.  Literally, I can't remember a time when I didn't read or make my parents read to me.  When I was younger, I mostly came up with ideas for spin-offs of books I enjoyed, but only a few stories ever got past the first couple of pages. :)  I started writing Harry Potter fan-fiction as a fourth-grader and wrote that almost exclusively for two years, until I fell in love with "Gone With the Wind." Up until the last year, I used to alternate between writing about those two books, depending on my mood; then I stopped writing, for the most part.  Now I'm daydreaming about my own ideas for my own characters.  The biggest challenge for me is that I'm a perfectionist when it comes to writing, and I usually can't meet my own standards.
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by ju
literature and art were the only subjects i enjoyed at school. i focused on the art because my spelling is so bad- it really slows me down. there was no place for that at school. i still did ok- just because i enjoyed reading and writing, i'd spend lots of extra time on projects etc. i kept a diary when i was 15/16ish and that was it. nothing more 'til Aug 09- and very little 'til sept last year. that's when the poetry bug bit me good and proper. i'm usually trying to fathom things out or convey thoughts, tell stories, when i write. half of the message will be between the lines. i don't try to write big, punchy, dramatic poems (well, not often) i wasn't made or broken by a run of direct hits. it's the near misses that made me. it's the near misses i write about most.
  I can relate to spelling, I can't spell anything really but reading and writing has helped me some :).  I like what you said about near misses is what you write about as it seems you have found your nitch that best suites who you are.  I think you are a Master at sending messages between the lines and at times we the readers need a key to unlock those messages.  :)

[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by SheWhoWillNotBeNamed
I always had an artsy soul. Out of them all, writing seemed to stick and it seemed to work. Besides writing I love acting, and am supposedly not bad at it. Every now and then I would show my writing to others via social networking sites, only to get to know that barely anyone takes the time to read it. I had it how illiterate the new age is...
I like to write for my own pleasures. If I like it, then I couldn't care less.
Writing style? Hmmm... it depends on my mood, type of work, etc. I like to taste a bit of this and that and then mix those two into a whole sauce, which tastes delicious.
  I believe I haven't had the pleasure of reading your work yet, something that I will be doing shortly.  I see your an actress as well.  I can't act my way out of a wet paper thin bag, LOL.  Social sites aren't the best places to have your work read, but you can build a following there it just takes longer than on a site build for writers like this one.  I use to place my work on Multiply.com and Yahoo 360 years ago now.  So your open to different writing styles hopefully we can explore your multi styes over the months to come.

[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Chloe..Across the Universe
I write about many things- I always loved reading since forever so it was only natural for me to try my hand at writing ... I am very amateur and have no illusions of being a poet type of poet.
I started writing about fourth grade - i discovered boys a few years later and the writing stopped... then one of the boys i discovered broke my little heart and i wrote again ... a very emo , as they call it, poem of heartache, break and all that goes with a first broken heart.. I don't have a lot of time for writing but i still write a quick- quack here and there, a pop out poem in other words, it just comes into my head and pops out here.
I see so many GOOD writers in this group... and good luck SW- so far it is going great.
Many very good poems from the picture prompt i missed! Dang it lol

I often look at other poets on this site that I admire and some of them are actually in this group :)  but when I look at their work I think mine is child's play next to theirs.  I can relate to how you feel about your work on that level.  On another level there are many ways to enjoy a poem and it is different for each of us.  I love the big dramatic poems, but also I love the smaller productions that pack a big punch.  We are write poems that are just quake quick and don't represent the best we can do, I know I just posted one of them and everyone is being so kind in the reviews of it but I know it isn't good.  You have a talent for writing from your heart and when you do your poems are extrodinary, when you write without your heart your poems are poetry.  You are what I call a Human Social Issue writer.  When you write about that your work shines above the rest because we can see and feel your heart to me that is poetry at it's best. 

[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Originally posted by Thomas Fitzgerald
Well my style varies from time to time, the only thing that stays constant is the subject matter, I write a lot about the darker emotions, and thoughts of the inner mind. I find fear, hate and taboo subjects inviting, they alway stir a response, not alway a good one, but a response non the less. I use rhyme a lot in my poetry also. i got into writing because I love of all things vampire, I've even created my own, very dark vampire "Adrian".

Your writing style stirs emotions in the readers and that is a good thing.  I love emotional poems because it allows me to feel something about what I have read rather I agree with it or not I still feel and that is wonderful.  From the poems I have read of yours and I am behind on reading you and everyone else I can tell your talented with alot to share with us.  Vampire is your love?  hmm interesting.

First Page first
Previous Page prev