I Challenge You : Forum : Descriptive Writing

[reply] [quote]

Descriptive Writing

13 Years Ago

Even though I have a love affair with poetry I also have a passion for descriptive writing in short stories.  I like action but at the same time if some is all dialogue and all action I feel like I am not totally in the middle of scene with the characters.  I like to know the color of the walls, the condition of the paint, the sound of the floor as someone walks, the smell of dampness in the air and so on.  I want to feel like I actually walked through the room that the murder took place in, like I was a detective looking for a clue to the killer.  I want to smell the dirty pile of laundry that is sitting in the corner of the room stacked against the one legged ironing board.  To me these little details make for a good story.  One that makes me keep reading even if there is no action in it at all. 

Your challenge if you should accept it is to write a descriptive short story that puts the reader in the middle of the story.  Describe everything the characters see, smell, taste, feel and senses.  The twists to this one?  Well your scene has to take place in high school and you have to write this in 3rd person plus no dialogue! 

Note:  It doesn't have to be a complete story just one scene from a story but it super rich with description.  This is a practice run for the next short story contest and this will help you win it if you master it!

Good Luck and Happy Writing!
[reply] [quote]

Re: Descriptive Writing

13 Years Ago

I gave it a go... don't know if the mark was hit but *shrug*.... I'm a long time out of high school but I drew from personal experience that after many many years still lives inside a small part of my brain... :-)
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

Faith opened her eyes, her sheets, were all in clumps, of colorful daisy’s rumples around her. Her light yellow fluffy blankets strewed across the floor. Yesterday’s events came rushing back to her reality. The scene just played over and over in her mind, the little sleep she did get, didn’t even fade the movie that she was watching again. Why? Oh why, did the new boy have to be standing at his locker at that precise time?  She remembers, watching him gather his books out of his locker, the muscles in his arms flexed and filled his shirt sleeve with a wave of material. That was really the last sight she remembers, Faith was thinking, he was really cute. Then, she caught the scent of  lavender, it was wavering off him into the air, like fresh sheets on a spring day drying outside, she remembered the smell from her grandmother’s house, how they smelled sweet and fresh,  her nose was picking up this wonderful scent, as she closed her eyes to savor the moment of peace that was in the air , she thought how beautiful his black hair shimmered in the sunlight , which was coming from the sky lights above the lockers, cole black eyes  sparkled in the rays, dark skin glowing tan, tall and built, the way he was just leaning into the locker picking up his books, she could gather , that  his legs were well balanced and strong to, you could tell from the color of the fabric where they had been sewn together, from the muscles taking up all the room that they had to stretch!   She felt herself falling floor, she could feel the wind passing her ears with a whistle. She dreaded it, but she had to open her eyes really quick, to make sure she wasn’t going to be falling into anything solid, beside the floor! She hadn’t  forgotten about all her peers in the a hall she could already hear the laughter , and then it was so quiet, you could hear the papers flying out of her books hitting the floor and her books sliding on the tiles, the floor was coming Faith new it was coming to say hello to her! Faith flew up out of bed, determined to put it all out of her mind. Start Fresh then, she was looking around her room with fog in her eyes, but was thinking to herself, why oh why AGAIN, is there daisy’s still plastid all over her pale yellow room, she rolled over on her stomach in disgust and then realized she was still in a twin white flowery head board, dam this, this is a youngster bed! What the heck she was 16 years old, sophomore in High school and her room made her feel like she was 7 again!  White & Yellow daisy furniture and bed coverings.  Nothing about this room yelled TEENAGER ABOARD-yet!
[reply] [quote]

13 Years Ago

High School Hell
and the danger of teenage sorrow

He walked languidly through the hall, dreading his approach to the lunch room.
His Nirvana shirt was torn in several places and his dark jeans were stained with numerous
different colors. Dirty Boy, they use to call him, not today, he thought as he passed
the white washed walls into the baby blue cafeteria. The putrid smell of foul fish
sticks clung about the air as though it were a mist. Choking back the nausea, he
stepped into the lunch line. At least 20, richly dressed, model wannabees stood
between him and his Peanut Butter and Jelly. Sighing, as the mix of perfumes and
hot food, washed passed him, he glanced about. No one looked up, their blurred
faces passed his thoughts but did not enter. No friendly smile awaited him today,
nor would it ever again. Even if they didn't know her, they would know of her,
and at least he would eat his lunch in peace. There were new posters every where
with famous actors and T.V. stars telling them to drink milk,
eat right and exercise. Yeah right, he thought, glaring at Hilary Duff's cocky milkly grin.
Waiting as the line slowly slipped in and out of the kitchen and then register area,
he began to wonder if he'd brought his lunch money. Digging into his pockets,
 he suddenly froze as a mysterious ooze entrapped his hand.
THOSE JERKS!!!!
Not daring to pull his hand free and show
the entire lunch room what Dawson Henry and his jock heads thought was a funny prank,
he turned to leave. Just then Dawson and his flunkies enter through another door.
He knew because once he was spotted they broke out into hysterics. JERKS!!!
He rushed to the bathroom down the white, near empty hall bypassing the distracted teacher.
Hand made poster's, written on red and orange construction paper read;
"PROM NEXT WEEK!! Tickets will be sold in Mrs. Frank's Class, Room 343.
Hurry! Don't miss out on this once and a lifetime event!"

He groaned as he saw this, and quickly scurried faster, trying to out run his memory of
Mrs. Frank's 3rd period English class. The only class where he looked
 forwarded to group assignments, though not anymore. Taking a
sharp turn around hall E, he spotted his salvation only a few doors away, finally.
The bathroom, though foul, was thankfully empty. The yellow tiles
held secrets to which no one need know; random stains of which dotted
their shiny outer coat like polka dots on a nice sun dress. Bunches
of dirty paper towels lay casually next to the large plastic green trash can,
as though they belonged. With his clean hand he turned the metallic faucet on and
as the fixture shot steaming hot water, he glared into the mirror. His face began to turn
deep red and soon he was clenching his braced teeth.The over powering scent of urine was
instantly warmed and quickly he turned on the cold water till the smell
lessened. His hand was covered, he could see as he pulled the sticky green slime from
his now ruined pants pocket. It clung with such voracity the water would not even
remove the most of it. Grumbling as the water splashed wet warmth onto his face,
he thought again of Jessica. He would never again see her shinning brown eyes
as they laughed behind those ridiculously large glasses. Though everyone called
her fat Erkle, he saw something more, something beautiful. I should have told her so.
He knew, had he spoke up, she may still be around; she might not have had to. Crap!
The water had splashed his pants till they looked as though he had wet himself.
Yanking the scratchy brown paper towels from the black plastic holder, he sighed once more.
Scrubbing the water mark did nothing, and soon he gave up. Rubbing at the ooze with
the damp towel instead. After a few good rubs it finally began to
 come off. I should have told her, he reminded himself; over and over since
 the news sunk in. Yanking free a pea green stall door, he closed it
just in time to watch it blur as the tears broke free from his now shaking head.