Inspired Insomniacs : Forum : Insomniacs; Why?

Insomniacs; Why?

16 Years Ago

Is anyone here an insomniac for something personal? Or just because?
I think insomnia is absolutely fascinating. I remember being a semi-insomniac when I was younger, around 4-5, and would just lay in my bed watching the ceiling for hours (Before I put the nintendo in my room, that is). Now though, over the course of years, I adopted a sort of phobia of sleep. I've spent so much of the past few years studying the world and everything as much as possible; economics, philosophy, current affairs, history, and all sorts of things. When I sleep I wake up with this sense of regret, like I missed out on something in the course of sleep. Over the years i've adopted a complete insomnia and now hardly sleep at all (Exceptions are in school, and drunk).

So, why don't you sleep?

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

For me most of the time it is stress, or my mind will just not let itself shut down. I think about everything a lay with my eyes wide open. When I can't sleep all I can do is ride it out till I do get sleepy. So most of the time I end up writing at night.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I have no idea if I'm considered an insomniac but I say I'am anyways.

I've tried to sleep, I know it's good for you, but I can't because as soon as my head hits the pillow my thoughts begin to spin.  My eyes pop open and all the fatigue that once clouded my vision, vanishes. 

I hate sleep.  I'm almost afraid of sleep, dreading the hour in which I must crawl reluctantly between the sheets and willing waste many hours of my life. I've always felt as if I'm missing out on life by sleeping at all.  Why sleep when I could be writing.  What if one of my best ideas for a story only comes during a REM cylce?  Why would I want to miss out on that when I can just stay awake.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I often find i get really good ideas right before i doze off and then I can't fully remember them the next day. It really bothers me!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I highly doubt that how I sleep is considered insomnia, but when I sleep, I usually wake up tired and exhausted. I feel so, so...unaccomplished. I'd love to write the night away, stopping for only an hour or so just to shut my eyes so they don't turn bloody murder on me, but I am forced to sleep by both my sister and parents.
Although, some of my best story ideas have come from when I was asleep. Sadly, I only remember a few...

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I ususally have Insomina when I have too much on my mind..or if I just can't sleep for some reason.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I think my Insomniac-ism... huh?...

anyway...

but i write best at night... i dunno why, but thats usually when i write best. I'm a shy person so it could be becuase at night there is no one to look over my shoulder and read it, making me nervous, and giving me writers block.... most of the best stuff is writen about the night... i mean how inspiring is the day... not very. i guess thats probably why most myths and what not are created around the night and what not... maybe its just the nonconformist in us all that makes us sit up at night hacking away at our keyboards.  or maybe we're all just a little mental... *sigh* what  can you do?lol...

-Vee

Re: Insomniacs; Why?

14 Years Ago

I agree that insomnia is fascinating. The inspired, strange insomniacs anyways.

For a while the reason I didn't sleep is because I was terrified due to some horrible nightmares I kept having almost every time I shut my eyes. I would actually inhale gallons of caffeine and sit in my room with the light on and my teddy bear and twenty books all around me to keep me company so I wouldn't fall into the dreaded grasp of sleep. One can only stay awake for so long though, unfortunately.
Now I have nightmares less often and I usually just stay awake because I'm too impatient to wait for my mind to shut up or I just plain CAN'T. And then there's the fact that I hate daytime and I'm somewhat obsessed with gazing at the night sky, which is very hard to do during the daytime.

Re: Insomniacs; Why?

4 Years Ago

I've always been an insomniac. I remember being as young as 5-6 years old and laying in bed for hours when I was supposed to be asleep, and I would just be replaying the day and events of the past in my head. It wasn't so bad when I felt safe keeping a journal, because writing everything out helped get it out of my head. But then my mom read my journal and yelled at me for "telling the family secrets." This happened more than once - into my 20s. So, I no longer feel like keeping a journal is safe. She also yelled at me when she didn't like the topic of fiction I wrote. I was born with a severe disability, have been in and out of the hospital at least 100 times and had over 40 surgeries. Mom doesn't like me writing about it because it "makes her sad." I told her, "then don't read my private writings!" She replied, "I'm your mother - I'll read whatever I want." She still says that to me, and I'm in my 40s. You'll find out through my writings and posts, I have some pretty serious "mother" issues. They are a big part of my insomnia, and always have been.