Is Anyone Out There : Forum : Lets GO

[reply] [quote]

Lets GO

4 Years Ago

Hey Everyone,
I keep looking for new writers or a group of regulars...This site is not the same as it was in 2008-2010...I know there are a lot of active writers on here. Lets connect...Let progress... Lets see what your working on... Read....Review...   :)
[reply] [quote]

Re: Lets GO

4 Years Ago

Cool. I didn't even know this group was here back then. Great to know it's here now, though.
Let's talk fiction, shall we?
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

You are right, when I joined ten years ago, there were many good writers posting frequently, a very motivating and synergistic atmosphere. Many have moved on, some have sadly passed. My personal observation here is there are far less story writers. I would like to see WC divided into three groups, short story, novel, poetry.... I've often joked WC should be renamed Poetscafe.... I also have difficulty reading long novels posted here, even by chapter. In ten years I've red three novels... by excellent writers, who are no longer participating here. Poems get more views because they are short. Don't get me wrong, if short story fiction writers didn't expose themselves to prose and try to write prose, then their own writing wouldn't be as strong as it is. But my writing interest is short story FICTION... which for some reason unknown to me, isn't getting the reads like it used to. I try very hard to write original, creative and entertaining fiction short stories. I'm not excited about unoriginal "fantasy" genre, Fan-Fiction, or pieces half baked and barely readable. And those I'm afraid are some of the reasons, more stories aren't posted here, and why there's been a talent drain from WC for the last four years. I'm all for the enthusiasm here. If anyone wants to have a PM with me about this, please don't hesitate to hit me up. Thanks. 
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

I couldn't agree more. I want to read more fiction writes.

Poetry was something from another life for me, mostly. Sadly yes, several I've known have passed away, at least ten I've known were ran off the site by this David George troll. But what's say we take back this site? Make it more positive than it's ever been?

After all, the point of WritersCafe is to unite writers under a common (however not the same) banner. The point was never to divide and conquer others in the field.

Let's make harmony, guys.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

re: Dingler….
My impact on people leaving this site is overstated but probably not nothing.  I've realized this relatively recently and have been significantly more responsible in how I've interreacted with people here as I've learned to better control the chaos inside my head.  It was unfair to expose people to it unmanaged as I sometimes did.  None the less, my effect here is negligible and not the reason traffic has been dwindling these past few years.  I arrived here long after that was already well underway.
With that being said, Dingler is probably onto something. . . being a more group orientated collection of writers would foster a more conducive environment to growth in every sense of that word.   The nuts and bolts of that process are not exactly obvious to me for this specific situation but the formation of this group to have the conversation and put our heads together in the first place is a productive first step.  
Good leadership Monday.

[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Hello, I'm a writer from the States, I've been called "The Greatest Writer since Ray Bradbury" (by myself). I'm far too humble a man to ever concede that I am in fact really that good.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

I agree we are not the same, I've been here 10years, and there's been a shift. People treat it as a chat site. I know many of the members in this group, and enjoy your work so very much, and I'm ready for more. I want sprinkles on my ice cream. So I say bring it on, and let's break out the extras. I want to read other writers work, and see the flow of it, the style differences and then talk a little shop together. Let's dialog with each other. Tell each other how a writing come about. Where the idea come from. I want to hear about what you all are reading, what you started to read but couldn't get past the first page. :) you know a smorgasbord of ideas.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Originally posted by Cherrie Palmer
I agree we are not the same, I've been here 10years, and there's been a shift. People treat it as a chat site. I know many of the members in this group, and enjoy your work so very much, and I'm ready for more. I want sprinkles on my ice cream. So I say bring it on, and let's break out the extras. I want to read other writers work, and see the flow of it, the style differences and then talk a little shop together. Let's dialog with each other. Tell each other how a writing come about. Where the idea come from. I want to hear about what you all are reading, what you started to read but couldn't get past the first page. :) you know a smorgasbord of ideas.

I like to reread the works of the writer "The Butterfly Kid" his short stories are imaginative and engrossing, when I read his short stories, I find myself smiling.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Originally posted by Wesley L. Dingler
I couldn't agree more. I want to read more fiction writes.

Poetry was something from another life for me, mostly. Sadly yes, several I've known have passed away, at least ten I've known were ran off the site by this David George troll. But what's say we take back this site? Make it more positive than it's ever been?

After all, the point of WritersCafe is to unite writers under a common (however not the same) banner. The point was never to divide and conquer others in the field.

Let's make harmony, guys.
Oh, I've got the fiction goods, my friend. I'll have to post them here, but I have quite an imaginative collection of short stories. I'm writing a fiction right now, it will be the greatest American work of fiction of all-time. It will blow people away.

[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Howdy Folks I am the bunny! I have the attention span of your average rodent so I'm not much of a story writer yet but I will read you if you post it here. I have only two characters and they emerge as epic poems right now but they will come to life in story form eventually I hope:) Anywho my critique will only be valuable from the perspective of a reader for i do not have a very sharp story writer carrot right now but i will be happy to contribute my ear to your notes.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

At the moment I am reading a Zane Grey written published in 1906. It's called The Last Trail. I'm fascinated with words used. Like 'footfalls' rather than 'footsteps' It helps me rethink my own verbiage. I don't know how many modern authors I've sat there book aside for a classic. I just finished 'The Garden Of Eden '. It took Hemingway 15 years to write.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Originally posted by Bad bunny
Howdy Folks I am the bunny! I have the attention span of your average rodent so I'm not much of a story writer yet but I will read you if you post it here. I have only two characters and they emerge as epic poems right now but they will come to life in story form eventually I hope:) Anywho my critique will only be valuable from the perspective of a reader for i do not have a very sharp story writer carrot right now but i will be happy to contribute my ear to your notes.

I'm with you on the topic of a critique, as a reader I will leave comments, feelings or ideas but never as a critic. 
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Originally posted by roarke
You are right, when I joined ten years ago, there were many good writers posting frequently, a very motivating and synergistic atmosphere. Many have moved on, some have sadly passed. My personal observation here is there are far less story writers. I would like to see WC divided into three groups, short story, novel, poetry.... I've often joked WC should be renamed Poetscafe.... I also have difficulty reading long novels posted here, even by chapter. In ten years I've red three novels... by excellent writers, who are no longer participating here. Poems get more views because they are short. Don't get me wrong, if short story fiction writers didn't expose themselves to prose and try to write prose, then their own writing wouldn't be as strong as it is. But my writing interest is short story FICTION... which for some reason unknown to me, isn't getting the reads like it used to. I try very hard to write original, creative and entertaining fiction short stories. I'm not excited about unoriginal "fantasy" genre, Fan-Fiction, or pieces half baked and barely readable. And those I'm afraid are some of the reasons, more stories aren't posted here, and why there's been a talent drain from WC for the last four years. I'm all for the enthusiasm here. If anyone wants to have a PM with me about this, please don't hesitate to hit me up. Thanks. 

People will forget about groups if nothing's happening. So let's become active readers. Most of us don't need a that-a-boy. Are stories are good, but what do we need to transport good into great? Perspective, I heard a professor make his advance writing class not write a single work the first month. They each picked a best seller and copied the first chapter word for word. So they would do more than read a well written piece but see and hear it go down on paper. That simple little exercise makes the writer see how the backdrop, motion, mood, and dialog are timed and staged. I love that idea. So I decided to do that with Hemingway's Garden of Eden ( might as well go big).

I've tried some of the other sites. I know several people who have left, as well as those who have passed on.  I'm always sad to see them leave here. Because what the café has that other sites do not is that personal touch, a since of connection, and at the heart of it that is why we are all here.

I'm a fan of poetry, for one I love it but mostly because it makes me more aware of the since of flow a  poem can help with a much larger work giving your story that needed pace of rhythm. I get it if we only have 30 minutes, we would rather give 6 friends a review rather than 1 or 2 but it's not a waist of time to see how someone else weaves a piece together. We need to read like writers, and write like readers. It will make us better.

If each of us thinks what we want from this place, then plug that need  into motion this café will rock with new ideas and enthusiasm. 
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Originally posted by Cherrie Palmer
Originally posted by roarke

People will forget about groups if nothing's happening. So let's become active readers. Most of us don't need a that-a-boy. Are stories are good, but what do we need to transport good into great? Perspective, I heard a professor make his advance writing class not write a single work the first month. They each picked a best seller and copied the first chapter word for word. So they would do more than read a well written piece but see and hear it go down on paper. That simple little exercise makes the writer see how the backdrop, motion, mood, and dialog are timed and staged. I love that idea. So I decided to do that with Hemingway's Garden of Eden ( might as well go big).

I've tried some of the other sites. I know several people who have left, as well as those who have passed on.  I'm always sad to see them leave here. Because what the café has that other sites do not is that personal touch, a since of connection, and at the heart of it that is why we are all here.

I'm a fan of poetry, for one I love it but mostly because it makes me more aware of the since of flow a  poem can help with a much larger work giving your story that needed pace of rhythm. I get it if we only have 30 minutes, we would rather give 6 friends a review rather than 1 or 2 but it's not a waist of time to see how someone else weaves a piece together. We need to read like writers, and write like readers. It will make us better.

If each of us thinks what we want from this place, then plug that need  into motion this café will rock with new ideas and enthusiasm. 

YES!!! Exactly. <3
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

With the fairly recent fanfiction culture explosion (speaking human history wise), I think it makes sense that a site like Café would lose a whole bunch of regular traction. Most amateur writers just tend to swarm sites like Wattpad and Fanfiction instead, it really do be like that.

Speaking of amateur, I can definetly see as to why someone would be tired of the onlsaught of poetry on the site, seeing as it really is a neverending swarm of it. Besided, let's be fair, most of it ain't that good, not to throw shade of course.

I mean, I myself am an obvious amateur in the matter, but I like to see where I go.

I'll be looking forward towards seeing some good stuff from y'all fellas here pop up, and if you're feeling like it, might as well check out my sad symbolist/decadent self. 

Salaam and all that.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Originally posted by Wesley L. Dingler
Cool. I didn't even know this group was here back then. Great to know it's here now, though.
Let's talk fiction, shall we?

This group was just created yesterday...I just mean Writers Café use to have many active writers...but over the years it just sort of died down.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

I agree. 
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Amen Cherrie
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

I wish more writers on here had your perspective Cherrie. One very big difference here of WC is that there is a more direct connection, an easier availability for the writers here. Other sites seem to put a few layers of "process" or bureaucracy between the reader and writer or writer and writer. That does neither any good. Another thing I wish WC would do is offer a publishing option. I think the site's original concept and design is very strong, but lacks administration presence. But I guess it all falls under the phrase: "building a better mousetrap." Any site these days needs hands on administration and evolving IT development. 
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Okay who is gonna submit and submit a work for analysis? i mean the bunny needs some food and direction lot of minds in here lets start using them :)

First Page first
Previous Page prev