Is Anyone Out There : Forum : Vision

[reply] [quote]

Vision

4 Years Ago

What if we critic one item of our own. From a editors perspective. We could copy it into our response if it's not to long, and if it is too long give the title, then the review. Maybe being honest about our own work will help us in viewing the work of others. Could make for interesting reading. :)
[reply] [quote]

Re: Vision

4 Years Ago

I think this is a pretty excellent idea.  Honest self reflection is and always will be the key to self improvement.
But I don't think we should pick our own work to critique.  That's too much like intellectual masturbation.   We should all pick something from each other's catalogue to have that person critique.  Otherwise we'd all just pick our best work that we already know more or less exactly what to say about.   

[reply] [quote]

Re: Vision

4 Years Ago

Originally posted by David george
I think this is a pretty excellent idea.  Honest self reflection is and always will be the key to self improvement.
But I don't think we should pick our own work to critique.  That's too much like intellectual masturbation.   We should all pick something from each other's catalogue to have that person critique.  Otherwise we'd all just pick our best work that we already know more or less exactly what to say about.   

I agree it is hard reviewing your own writing honestly and I think we glaze over our own product ( with the attitude it's fine as-is, cause I'll fix it later), only to see how we would make someone else's better. I'm game for that idea. We need to learn how to let someone tell their own story when we offer advice. And we could all learn to let someone not understand or like our words. I know that personally I'm always disappointed that my stories are overly simple. They lack that juggling circus feel you get from a well thought out plot. Lol mainly because I seldom think out the complexity of my story. Like a writer on the run i shove the basics under my arm and run with it.