Is Anyone Out There : Forum : Fixing this site

[reply] [quote]

Re: Fixing this site

4 Years Ago

"....  this site is just a business..."
welcome to the world.
This site doesn't make a lot of money, even at it's height it wasn't bringing in too much (relatively speaking).  The reason it appears the owners "don't give a f**k" is rational market economics, plain and simple.  Amateur writing sites will never be cash cows, ever. 
Your suggestions are gimmicks... fluff.  If this site ever returns to significant traffic numbers than maybe it would make sense.  But the reality of this situation is that the world doesn't work like that.  If you want add-on's you first have to justify the bare bones offerings... which the level of repeat traffic and general interaction just doesn't do.
When you say things like "I don't review or read poetry" you're indirectly saying you're part of that problem.  En masse, we don't venture beyond our cliques and specific genres and therefore the traffic on this site will never really get to the level it once was at.  Even though it is on the uptick and has been for the past year I don't think it will ever get to the point where it would be financially rational for the owners of this site to get serious about revamping it.   

In short... the action may be on the owners but the rational reasoning behind that action is and always will be on us.  Once again - welcome to the world.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Originally posted by Ian D. Mooby
This group is about fixing this site from what I understand, but as members we can't do it.  The problem starts with those who own and operate the site.  They don't give a f**k about us, they may have at one time but now it is just a business.  They allow business to create profiles, join groups and flood the forums, why?  The more accounts on the site the more they make.  Every ad you see on here they are getting money for and the amount depends on the numbers of members.

The point system may have been a great idea at one point but it is broken.  Those on top stay on top.  Not only does it keep people that should have long been kicked from the top reviewer list on it you can easily cheat to reach that level.  Why cheat, simple the more points you have the more you are visible, that is what it is all about being seen.  Lie to yourself if you want to but in the end you post on sites like this so you can have others read your stuff and to that you need to be seen.

Editing.  What can I say this site does not have an easy way to mark things you see in the stories of others you think need corrected.  If you see a misspelled word or a grammatical error the best you can do is mention it in your comment.  It would be simple to create a way to mark things in people's stories to help them improve, but it seems this site is  all about posting not improving.

Plagiarism is a big thing and this site doesn't do anything to protect your writings.  Anybody can join find something they like and copy it.  It is so simple and easy a trained monkey could do it.

I am a member of other sites and most have all these problems and more, not that this is a complete list of the issues with this site.  If this site is to be fixed and made good again, notice I said good not great, these things need dealt with and as members we can't do it. 

***I dont think it was necessarily to fix the site....just a new group with active writers ...Some place alive with new threads...current or new writings...i dont know... For me its working i dont know about you all. MP
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

I really do think this little group has had an effect.  Nothing groundbreaking of course but it has engaged people, if only to take a look.
But that can't be why you've made this group.  We need to have unabashedly honest conversations about things just for the sake of it.  I play a certain role within that (jerk faced quasi-rational a*****e) but we need to have the other roles come out as well. 
There are at least a million ways to be right.  Someone needs to objectively put me in my place so we can find a legitimate common ground to play off of.  I really don't mind being wrong or made a fool of when it's done not simply just to prove me wrong or make a fool of me.  That is all secondary to legitimate intellectual growth... which is something we'll all see when it presents itself openly for it's own sake.  I don't think we allow our intuition's in the open enough.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

What site are you talking about?  I would guess that it's Hello Poetry because they don't really depend on ads so much but you've said you don't write poetry and that's pretty much just a poetry site.  Where is this magical place that sustains itself with no income?
If you think these sites are maintained for free you're naïve.  And you continue to fail to grasp my point - why would someone risk wholesale change when traffic and interaction don't warrant it? 
And aren't you self-published?  A "writer" who PAYS to have his work come to life in print?  Hypocrisy is a word I think you need to re-learn.

Oh and by the way... throwing people out of a group and banning them is not as easy as you'd think morally speaking.  Basically you're trying to say that arbitrary censorship is more important than freedom of expression.  Freedom of expression is something that comes with warts as well as beautiful flowers.  The choice to pick what is a wart and what is beautiful needs to lie on the individual... otherwise people will have to think for you and that is a slippery slope into a much worse alternative. Take responsibility on your own in regards to what you do or do not want to read or see.  It's kind of disheartening to me that someone so much younger than you has to explain this to you.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

Who decides who is or is not an a*****e?  That's a very subjective thing.
Wouldn't you want to be able to make that decision on your own?  I'm not forcing you to read me or interact with me in any way shape or form.  Not for one second do you not have the power to ignore me or just straight up block me.
And booksie.com has MORE ads and MORE pay to be read gimmicks than this site by a very large margin.   I'm calling BS on your entire thesis.
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

You've already dug yourself a hole with a hypocrisy shovel.  You started off this thread bashing the owners for trying to make money... now you're saying it's okay for a site to make money?   Just as long as it's not this site.
Go re read your original post.  You're not here for productive reasons.  You're here to talk s**t...  which is something I am intimately familiar with seeing as that I'm basically a professional troll.
But the difference between you and me is... I'm honest about it, you are not.  Maybe you're lying to yourself and you can't or refuse to see it. 
[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

You're making it worse for yourself.
And if you're proud to have ran people off of a site you're a f*****g scumbag.
Even for my worst enemies who have kind of left sites because of my trolling still have my sympathies and will always have the option to make peace with me.  And it's certainly not something I'm proud of, just or not.
It takes a few interactions but, I know bad people when I see them.  You're a scumbag who is divorced from any truth that doesn't suit you and possibly morally bankrupt in general.

[reply] [quote]

4 Years Ago

"how am I making it worse for myself?"

At this point I no longer expect you to see things as they are.  Talking to you is like talking to a person who knows how to sound like they are speaking but at the end of the day they're just making familiar noises.

I have a couple brick walls in my basement, so, I'm gonna go have a more meaningful conversation downstairs.