It Is What It Is... : Forum : What makes us write (Introduce..

What makes us write (Introduce yourself)

15 Years Ago

I wrote to a friend today the following:

You are a very fine writer in your own rite. You must stay true to that voice that speaks deep within you. Your voice is you....refined to perfection...with nothing needed but to be heard. Write what you hear and you will never go wrong.

My name is Susi (Soozee) and I am the published author of the book "The Psychotropic Diet" A Humorous and pointed Look and Bipolar Disorder.  My book is not so much about the mental effects of this psychiatric disorder as it is about the health of our mind...hope...personal responsibility...and recovery of our lives. 

As you may have read on my profile, my passions are writing and spreading the word of hope in a world where it is dying fast. 

On the personal side, I enjoy very much the olde language...English....and I write a lot of poetry using this highly misunderstood yet incredibly beautiful language.  I also write abstract, emotional, and sometimes off-the-wall poetry and short stories.  For me it is the challenge of writing something, and writing it well.  As a child, my mother would give me a word from the dictionary and ask me to write a poem or essay on just that one word.  I was only allowed to read the one definition...nothing else.  I've been writing since I was four, and it was at that age that I began my quest in public education.  I was four when I started kindergarten and  I was seventeen when I graduated high school.  Writing every step of the way.

Ken Simm (also a member of this group) and I are currently working on a very intricate saga called the Layde and the Knight.  This is a story of a young woman betrothed to another who falls in love with a young Knight who is killed in battle.  We are still working on this saga, but you can find it on both our sites.  On my site you will see it as the book "Layde and the Knight".  On his site, you will see it listed on his profile.  The entire series.  I invite you all to come and have a look.  We've received much positive feedback on the series.  We also have a several smaller stories...Lancelot and Guinevere...Ill Man and the Witch...and Roxanne and Cyrano DeBergerac.  The latter are all works in progress.

Please introduce yourself, your passions, your writing, and please....would love to hear your thoughts on my philosophy of writing...(above in italics).  I am so very thankful we have this group to come to for support in our adventures of writing.  I would absolutely love to know more about each of you.

Many hugs and much love,

Susi

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

What can one say about himself that does not really know how to write, terrible at the mechanics of writing but am very proud of the invite to be part of this group. I will be back with a post of what makes me want to write and an intro to who i am.

Art

What Got Me To writing

15 Years Ago

Fifty – two and I never thought I would be sitting at a keyboard telling other writer’s who I am and why I enjoy writing. First of all, I’m very bad with the mechanics of writing and I’m still learning daily how to write. With that said you will see that I’m far from being a good writer.

Life has many crossroads and the ones I elected to follow never kept going, for what ever reasons they came to a dead end because of hurdles in my life that turned me around putting me back on track to the crossroad I was to follow.

I’m a believer of God and I believe he bestows gifts upon all of us and it his tool to put in our hands to benefit his desire to use us for what ever reason he has appointed these gifts for.

The one gift I have claimed in his name was the use of photography. I’m not a professional but I have had the great pleasure and opportunity to photograph many beautiful women in hopes to one day land a job as a (High Fashion Photographer).

Because of conflict with my full time job of being a (Baker) and putting bread and butter on the table it never happened and for the most part seeing a lot of things going on with the industry that I don’t agree with, it’s just as well.

All my life I have wanted to be a pro boxer. I have fought a few times and really enjoyed the excitement of it. For you ladies out there, it’s a guy’s thing. LOL I’m always asked why I liked to fight. I could right a book on this alone, so we will leave it at that.

My last bout I was injured, being knocked out. I’ve had seizures ever since and they have kept me out of the ring the doctors would never let me fight again.

Two years ago come this September I had a (Grand Mal Seizure) my family almost loosing me.  For almost six months I had what they call short term memory where I could not remember reading what I just read or a T.V program. When a commercial would come on and finish the program would start up and I would not remember what the hell was going on.

So there is still the photography as a hobby, I enjoy the gift of nature that surrounds all us and I like capturing her on film.

Before the seizure I did not know how to write and now it’s just the opposite the photography just isn’t there, never satisfied with the finished image of what my soul sees. Others think the photos are great. Not me.

So one day I picked up a sheet of paper and started writing what I wanted you the reader to see what my soul see through the lens as an image on paper. As a writer of poetry I want you to smell, feel, and hear everything I write. When I accomplish this, I’m grateful as a wannabe poet.

I’m far from considering myself as a poet, but I feel there is a poet in all of us. I do have a book of poetry published (Reflections of My Soul) A wonderful woman from another site, Clary Lopez saw my poetry taking an interest in it and asked me to send her all my work. Six weeks went by and she e-mailed me wanting to know what I wanted to name my book. Gang she compiled a book of poetry for me out of the goodness of her soul, no cost to me. I’m grateful to her for doing this for the main purpose of it is, it’s a legacy for my family.

Never in my life time would I have thought I would have a book of poetry. I hated reading any kind of poem until after I gained my memory back and started writing as an outlet.

I’m in the process of doing a writing project that I’m doing along the lines of narrated poetry in the form of a story based on the reality of my life as a fighter (Amateur) and the woman (my wife) it has fiction and fantasy combined  in it. I have a long way to go be fore it will be finished.

Don’t know what will come of it but if anything, it will be another legacy.

Let’s see, what else can I bore you with, I was a firefighter for the California Division of Forestry.

I was a baker for twenty-nine years and now I work the islands of a Gas Station for a company called (Costco Wholesale).

I love to write poetry and I can not go a day without wanting to write. There is so much in the soul of mine, words that wants to escape, in the form of poetry.

I’m always inspired at a given moment as to what I write and I thank God for the gift that continues to grow and the friends I have here at the writers’ café.

My biggest fear is going to sleep and waking up not being able to write. I would rather be taken in the loving arms of my creator.

I’m enjoying all this and it’s my dream that I will finish this project sometime before the New Year.

Thank you all

Arthur Henn 2008

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Hi, everyone.  My name is Jodie Bass and I live in a suburb of Portland, Oregon.  I am the soul of irony and duality, at times.  I write but would rarely consider myself a writer.  I also, amazingly, have difficulty describing myself.  Many would say it's because I have a low self-esteem but those closest to me would probably say that it's because I'm so incredibly complicated that I'm just a walking paradox.  So, I'd simply direct you to the bio on my profile.  For those not willing to make the effort, the highlights are simple.  I am, at any given moment of the day or night, a husband, father, computer systems administrator and a part-time ham who enjoys doing community theatre.  I am all of those things... and none.  I am.

Why do I write?  For the same reasons that people hum when they're scared or dance when they're deliriously happy.  It makes me feel good.  Crafting a poem or telling a story gives me a sense of bliss that nothing else in life does.  It is my dance of the mind, my song of the cerebellum and, in very many ways, it keeps me sane.

So many of us simply have a deep desire to speak and be heard.  It's about simple recognition and not a desire for fame.  My desire to write goes a step farther than that.  I want my writing to be more than a memorable legacy, I want it to help change the world.  Even if all it does it make someone's day just a little better by making them laugh.  It's my desire to imbue subtle meanings in my writings that, when viewed with an open mind and heart, inspire you to look around and find those deeper meanings elsewhere.  If just one person smiles a little more and has a more childlike wonder when they view the world then I've done my job.

I find comfort in quoting those whom I constantly learn from and hope to emulate.  So I'll give you a favorite.  A relative of Helen Keller named Edward Hale wrote in his book Ten Times One Is Ten, "I am only one, but I am one. I can not do everything, but I can do something. I must not fail to do the something that I can do."

I wish you abundant love and light, dear ones.

~ Jodie

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

You are a very fine writer in your own rite. You must stay true to that voice that speaks deep within you. Your voice is you....refined to perfection...with nothing needed but to be heard. Write what you hear and you will never go wrong.

Art, I think you prove the point I make above.  The most wonderful thing about poetry and prose is that poetic license is infinite.  I believe you ARE a poet...and anyone who has read your writing can see that more than clearly.  The one thing I've noticed here at the cafe is that there are very few that will not give an honest review.  Writer's are the worst critics, in that they will give an honest review or will not review at all.  I've read the reviews of other writers regarding your work and each are iimpressed.

Mechanics can be learned, passion is either there or it isn't.

Your photography is very beautiful. 

I enjoy your words, and I know that others do as well.  Keep writing, and what an honor it is that you have taken the time to let us get to know you better.

-Susi

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Jodie,

Thank you so much for your narrative.  I am pleased and honored....and I am sure that our fellow group members will be/are as well.  Reading both yours and Art's responses, I am humbled. 

Thank you both for that.  I don't do it very often, but it is people like you two and the others in the group that give me the opportunity and even more the motive to stop and see outside my world for a broader view.

Enjoy!

-Susi

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Groucho Marx once said that he would not be a member of a club that would have him as a member. Friends tell me that I am much like that. Too humble for my own good. Well its the only vice I have, so why not?

I have many inspirations and many admirations.

I am an artist and I see no distinction between any part of my art. Some are temporal and some are visual. I have spent my working life looking for a connection only to realise that the connection is me. If you wish me to be specific I am a writer, painter, photographer and teacher. I hope always to be proactive unless I can be reactive with love. I love language be it the language of words or the very similar language of drawing. I hope to say what I want to say in the best and most creative way possible.

I loath violence by word, deed or implication. All who wish to know will find in me a willing ear unless they dictate. I adore nature and all things natural.

I write because I have to. I paint and make images because I have to. I cannot concieve of not doing. I hope people will enjoy my work and I honestly don't mind how they come to it.

I enjoy reading anything and everything and my greatest joy at the moment is my collaborative writes with Susi. She is both one of the inspirations and admirations I mentioned above.

I have a highly developed sense of the ludicrous and my three motto's are at the moment....

1. Forgotten but not gone.

2. If you dislike someone walk a mile in their shoes. Then if you still don't like them, you are a mile away and you have their shoes.

3. Just because you are paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

that is one of my most favorite quotes....Mr. Marx was highly misunderstood if you ask me.  Thank you Ken.  I am honored.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I would like to express my sincere appreciation to Susi for inviting me to be apart of this group. It is, indeed, a great honor to pen alongside such wonderful talent. Having said that, I shall return in a bit to (with hope) aptly decribe why it is that I write.

~smiles~

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Aww....

Planted & Growing...

15 Years Ago

My journey to poetry and prose began just over a year ago, but my journey through poetry and prose began on April 23 – the day I entered this beautiful café.

Initially, I started out writing while bantering back and forth with other quirky scoundrels in a little café on Helium.com.  At the time, I had no interest in writing, at least not that I was aware of.  However, I did know that I had a love for words and more so, wordplay.

Upon joining the Writers’ Café, I began reading and reading and reading – and reading some more!  I am completely awestruck by the poetry and prose I’ve been fortunate enough to read thus far.  Aside from my occasional visit to the Poetry Coffee House forum and a few low rated articles written out of guilt – any writing that was done was penned while engaging in a bunch of nonsensical bantering. Not to say, I didn’t have a blast, OH! I did!

That’s when Ricardo (pen-name) began to challenge my mind and peak my interest with his superior word knowledge! I looked up to him as though he was some sort of super-human-being, and he is!

NOT according to Garp though, er, Ricardo…

He’s just a humble soul with a brilliant mind willing to spend the time to help another improve in any way he can.  He has taught me much and still critiques my writes to DEATH!

That was the café…

It was in the Poetry Coffee House that I discovered a whole new literary world. I never knew words to express such a depth; paint such picturesque landscapes; conjure up fire breathing emotions; evoke anger with a single phrase, appease needs or lull one’s spirit into contentment. The vastness of it all was astounding. That’s where Missy (Melissa on here) took me under her wing – she’s a steward in the Creative Writing area on Helium.com.

She’s my faithful stalker and encourager – “You can do it, try writing this, try this form, do this, yes you can!”  She was and is a relentless backstage encourager. I'm here now and have an insatiable hunger to glean all that I can. I have a voice, I know it's in me, now I just need to find it. I know what style  of writing I'm drawn to (whimsical, eloquent old English) now I must endeavor to develope it. . .

I could go on and on like Duracell as I’ve been called wordy more than a few times (I know, I was shocked too!)  but you get the gist of it, no?

The seed was planted, germinated, sprouted, grew buds and is now blooming, one blossom at a time...

Thank you for inviting me into your garden to grow beside you...

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Prose,

Thank you for sharing your wonderful story and insights.  I know the rest of the group will join me in welcoming you.  I've read some of your work and I must say you CAN write...having an affinity for the olde language myself...I say welcome!

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Thank you for a warm welcome, Susi; I look forward to interacting with this lovely group of writers.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

What makes me write?  Hmmm.....I would like to say that it is for the sake of telling the story or that I enjoy it, but the gods' honest truth is that my muse is a sadistic bwitch and threatens to cut off my corkscrew tail if I don't get these little messages out there for its amusement.  I normally wouldn't even say that, but it is dozing right now.

Oops, I hear it awakening.....got to go!

Who is this Creepy Blue Guy?

15 Years Ago

Hello, my name is Jerry M. but sometimes I go by Creepy Blue Guy or King of Pigs. I write for various reasons, I write poetry most often when something just hits me hard on an emotional level (usually grief). Short stories though, are what I see as my craft. I love crafting a story and having my judgment (that it is well completed) verified by readers I write daily, but post much less frequently. That is because I really want to be sure that what I post is quality work.

I wish that I could translate the ease with which I write short stories to my efforts to complete a novel (this is my current quest)

Not sure what other info fits here, but if I missed something ... just ask.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I write because it is a natural extension of me playing music.
I write for myself.
I write to create, not caring if it is right or wrong, good or bad.

Writing is just a part of me.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

I'd explain why I write, but my handlers in the Witness Protection Program get a little skittish if I start discussing anything in detail.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

WKK you made me laugh out loud.  Thanks for the chuckle.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Guitar Scream, that makes perfect sense!  Someone who plays as well as you do, must have further dimension.  Your lyrics are incredible.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Hey all,

I'm a bit late getting here ... sorry 'bout that.

My name is Dezaraye.  I hate nicknames ... so it's just Dezaraye.  Never Dez or Dezzy or anything else ...  I've been writing for my entire life.  I can't remember a time that I wasn't writing or reading something.  I have a passion for words.

I write because I can't draw or paint.  I can barely draw a stick figure.  My mind is always full of images and creations, though, so I struggle to express those things through words rather than through visual art.  I have a passion for photography as well and am always searching for the right shot.  Black and whites are my favorite!  I also love taking pictures of sunsets and of children.

Like most writers, I feel deeply about much.  Whether it's depression or happiness, it seems to be emphasized and writing helps me to channel that emotion into something more productive than what might happen.

I write a lot about mothers and daughters.  My real mother and I have a horrible relationship, but when I was 18, I met a woman who has become more like a mother to me than I thought anyone ever could.  I call her my Mama.  :-)  She is my best friend and my angel and I'm so deeply blessed to have her in my life.

I also like to write about dancing.  I love to dance and still secretly want to be a ballerina when I grow up.  :-)  Well ... a ballerina and a princess, just like most little girls, I think.

I don't really have anything profound to say and I'm not a very good writer, but I pretend and I do it anyway.

So ... I suppose that's me ...

~Dezaraye

First Page first
Previous Page prev