Let's Talk About Sex... : Forum : Safer sex in Erotica.

Safer sex in Erotica.

15 Years Ago

I've often been curious about how different writers handle the subject of safer sex in erotic writing. When you write a love scene, do you include safer sex?  If you omit it, do your characters acknowledge it, or does it just not come up?  Have you ever written or read a paticularly hot scene that involved condoms or other safer sex practices?

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

Interesting thought. I has occured to me that I don't include "safe sex" in my writing or thought to consequences. Given that erotica is synonomous with fantasy to me, I think it might detract. On the other hand, it could be a key point in a story from a drama or comic view point.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago

For me it depends on the characters/story I'm working on as to whether I include or 'explain away' safe sex practices. They may be the type of character who, were they real, wouldn't care, in which case I'd try to make that clear through characterization so when the reader came to that part, it makes sense that the character wouldn't stop the proceedings to reach for the contraceptive.

Other times, they do stop... and other times still they don't, getting caught up in the moment, and then worry about it the morning/weeks after. I'd probably say my writing goes 60/40 in favor of not mentioning it. Though most of my longer projects reference it in some way. To me, the longer the story, the greater the chance your reader is at some point going to wonder about that kind of thing if you don't take care of it one way or the other.

As a reader, the use of safe sex practices in erotica doesn't bother me in the least, as long as it makes sense in the context of the story.