Lets write a book! : Forum : A bit of advise

A bit of advise

11 Years Ago

When starting a book, I find the first 5000 words pretty easy. But, then I seem to lose steam and flounder for awhile. The trick is to write EVERY single day. Even if only a page.

What happens for me is that at about the 10 to 15000 word mark things start to flow again. At times it becomes so fun because you have developed the characters enough that they begin to tell their own tales.

So just press ahead and you will get over the new book flounders and actually finish. It worked for me. I have one completed in third draft and another at 49,000 words.

Re: A bit of advise

11 Years Ago

Hi, I'm new to this site (and to this group). Although in general I've heard this piece of advice often (so it must be true!), it was great to hear your follow through on it - that after you push through long enough, the characters begin to write the story "for you" so to speak.   I've just started (30 pages in) to my first (hopeful!) novel!

11 Years Ago

That's a great start! Just keep on keeping on. (Sorry for the cliche' but I try to flush them out of my system when I can :) )

Re: A bit of advice

11 Years Ago

And don't edit as you write, otherwise you won't get passed the first sentence... That's me:) Do your page/s and put them aside so you can come back to them with a clear mind.

11 Years Ago

Excellent point on the editing! I turn off the spelling and grammar checkers when doing a first draft. Those darn red and green lines just make me want to go fix something :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sam

11 Years Ago

Completely true! This has become my own writing routine.