Literary Criticism And Discussion : Forum : Fantasy

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

Fantasy

14 Years Ago

Yo, i'm a fantasy writer myself, and was wondering if  anyone is interested in an active discussion about fantasy and aspects of it.
I haven't written for long, and was hoping i could help expand my writing by comparing, suggesting, and all around discussion with others.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Fantasy

14 Years Ago

I am very much up to discussing anything to do with writing.  Pick a subject and let's go.
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

Anything about Fantasy!  go ahead and say something you thought was cool in someone's work, or something in your own writing that you think is cool how it turned out. you start it, and it'll go from there.

[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

Okay, let's start with creating a world.  I have one book that is almost complete, and the world that I created there was easy since I have kept the talk of it to a minimum.  Things that come from the real world into this world tend to change in time.  A mule is a unicorn, vampires can stand in the sunlight, but at the same time if someone from the other world stays too long they tend to change from what they were in the other world. I have another book planned that my son is helping me with, in that one we are creating an entire world and all the aspects of it. The hardest thing is to work out the details when it comes to why.  Most fantasy readers are highly intelligent, and they want to know or understand.  If you change a color or description of a familiar item that is easy but if something is significantly different they want to understand why.  To say a crop takes nine months to grow, why.  If a group of nomads must migrate regularly, what drives it.  You said that you are still new to the writing, have you dealt with creating a whole world or just changing the one that we are in?
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

Well, what i did with White blood is sort of a history change. The beginning of the story leads up to common days now, through actions from the main character. i like that idea of the switching worlds and stuff. It'd be cool to add in a plot such as ways to kill an otherwise immortal foe by simply stopping him from returning. To me creating the world is the best part. complete and utter control of what happens, and why. The tough part is indeed making it logical as well.
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

There is a lot that you can do with your world, the biggest thing to be carefull about is like I said the logical aspect of it.  It can be very tempting to throw something in to save the day but we have to becareful that it fits into what we have already created. In the alternate world I created things vary but I still have to keep in line with what has been stated already.  Once you have your world then your character will have to fit in and discover the world all over again.  Because you already know in your head, and in your notes what the world is like and then through your character the reader gets to see your world. --He stared at the building before him, it was unlike any he had ever seen in the small village he had grown up in.  And yet here in this place it seemed to be very common, with its high pitched roof and ragged wood siding...--  Building the house all over again with words.  I could go on forever but I am sure you are the same with yours.  I like to use the movie 'City of Angels' as a guide.  When Nicholas Cage's character asks Meg Ryan's character to describe eating a pear.  You are describing it to someone who has no clue what so ever.  If it is exclusive to your world, then like his character they have never eaten a pear and need to be able to see, feel and experience it through your words.
<Closed>
[reply] [quote]

14 Years Ago

yes, eh i hate to say but i had to read that twice to understand what you were saying. hehe. That explaining the house bit you said got me thinking about how i can explain the look of the houses around the village he lives in, because for some odd reason i couldn't explain it very well.
I was gonna ask something else, but i can't quite remember it... completely slipped my mind, ill remember it when i don't need to, you just watch. -.-