Megan's Closet-speculative Fiction : Forum : Group Collaboration-Ongoing Ch..

Group Collaboration-Ongoing Character Fiction

17 Years Ago

I'm going to start this creative writing thread as a hopeful prompt for daily writing. Often I'm so busy that I'm unable to sit down and write so this is a quick way for all of us to get some creativity in our daily lives. The Idea is that I will begin with a Character and a few lines of speculative fiction. I'll also create a setting as a starting point. Group members who are interested can then read what's been written to that point-create their own character and give us the next bit of dialogue or plot. In this way we can create a fictional world of escape and fantasy. Please give a brief description of your character in the initial post. Only rule is that you keep it to Speculative Fiction and that you have fun.

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Setting: United States
Year: 2065
Overall Condition in the US: There has been complete anarchy in all major cities due to 80 % unemployment. The US president is a figurehead run by the foreign countries that began calling in US loan payments in 2020. This forceful united call for payback imploded every segment of American Life. Universities were closed due to disintigration of Student Loan programs and all other forms of funding. Major highways were alternately distroyed and/or dismantled in an attempt to curtail massive migration of inner city residents into the already delicate suburbs and rural areas. Simple outbreaks of flu and other infectious disease have wiped out one third of the population as most hospitals have closed down as well.

Few town/tribes have access to forms of electrical communication so they rely on missives delivered via the athelete PODD based in crucial median locations around the country. Word is sent from the president to these bikers and runners who then carry and hand off the News to PODD leaders who then read this info to their groups despite the fact that they know it means nothing to their way of life. They conform to this small act of civilization as a nod to the past.

An International Committee has stepped in to take over rule in the hopes of instituting some sense of order. They have issued an order to the United Forces of the Third World Order to occupy and unite the thousands of tribal pods that have been established in most of the smallest towns. At this moment PODD leaders are recieving their missives. There's no point in printing what they say as most leaders adlib and add what they want the "President" to say.

This is the starting point of the story. I've tried to create something that will allow for many characters if the group grows. If this happens to take off and become an actual believable story I'll work on getting it published as an Anthology/Collaboration.

My Character is a Bi-Gender (a new form of human that has been genetically engineered to have traits of both genders) named Ableon. He is the leader of a PODD in State College PA. Home to the Penn State University. His PODD is one of the largest in the country and has occupied most of the university buildings.