Musical Writing : Forum : Songs

[reply] [quote]

Songs

17 Years Ago

What songs do you find have most inspired you? What songs best represent the work that you've done so far?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I'm rather drawn to songs that have movements. But modern, post-apocalyptic, bands like God speed you black emperor, to something more organized and sublime, like Explosions in the sky. I create a lot of writing while listening to both. Sigur Ros is another great contributor to my pen.
Though at this time i haven't posted my writing with music in the subtexts, or descriptive phrases that are obviously musical in sound, i include this aspect in specific parts of story that involve creation, destruction, and the like. Music drives the mythic narrative in me, and i cannot help but want to include its colors, vivacity and tumult in so that there is a sense that instead of reading, you may very well be listening to gabriel's horn (ha, right). or something.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I tend to be drawn to dark-ish sexy ambiant music. I've used a lot of enigma, era, portishead, emma shapplin, and others that can't completely be classified. however I would really like to get into harsher more modern sounds such as Static-X. I'll be trying that with my second book.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

oh, that reminds me: ever tried John Zorn? try John Zorn. amazing, demonic at times, or at least alchemical.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

no actually. does he have good melodies?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

no! he's a mess of chaos. occult fusion, sometimes. he's done regular music but stands mostly as avant-garde. he's worked with Mike Patton of Mr. Bungle/Fantomas/Faith No More. melody is one aspect of the body-music, like stylish hair. his is an ever-morphing tuft.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

::cool:: Is this where I'm s'posed to write a short intro about me, and why I'd like to join? If so ........

I recently had my first success with a short play which was performed at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival this year and included an original song with lyrics & music by Yours Truly!
I've also written a Rock Musical for children and am currently looking for an amateur childrens' theatre group willing to give it a go ..... !

[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

awesome bagheera :) would you like to tell us what songs/music inspires you?
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

everything from the phantom of the opera. love it, it's so full of different hopes and fears and emotions and they all inspire me to write when ever i listen to the musical.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Musicals are definitely a big thing for me, especially Rent. I listen to a lot of hip hop and that sometimes finds its way into my music, but mostly emotional pop, R&B, and rock for me. ::cool::
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Hi! I'm the newbie.

This might sound weird, but depressing music always inspires me the most. Currently I love My Chemical Romance and Death Cab for Cutie.

Elvis Costello is also a really inspiring artist when it comes to my writing. One of his songs, I Want You, is basically the soundtrack to one of my stories.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

There's lots that inspire me. Usually very powerful classical or even Rock. The combination of both is brilliant. I like System of a Down, Queen, The Beatles, Eisley, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Maksim Mrvica, usually everything!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

that's tough.. cause my influences range from rush to zep to sabbath to godsmack to tool to metallica to ozzy to deep purple to queen...

from a musical standpoint.

i think from a writing standpoint though, i seem to do better when i'm being a bit of a wiseguy.. you know, like rob zombie or alice cooper or something along those lines..

then sometimes, when it just hits, it just hits and it could be anything from country to jazz to metal.. then i have no control over it..

but i prefer to have fun with my writing..

i would just like to improve..
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Romana C Guillotte
There's lots that inspire me. Usually very powerful classical or even Rock. The combination of both is brilliant. I like System of a Down, Queen, The Beatles, Eisley, Metallica, Led Zeppelin, Maksim Mrvica, usually everything!

ah, so you're a fan of classical meets harder music too? i can't get enough of that stuff. good names in that area are mozart master mix, tristania, nightwish, dark moor, and the trans-siberian orchestra. i can't get enough of it. I love any kind of duality. it has a huge place in my writing. I have a group about dualism you might also like to join, if you haven't already.
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

I am inspired by hard driving electric blues, classical, some jazz, and even some ambient new age stuff. Most of what I write is on the blues side of life.....
Can be called Americana. I have a gig lined up in a place that is expecting county. I might get tarred and feathered!!!
[reply] [quote]

[no subject]

17 Years Ago

The albums Perfecting Loneliness by Jets to Brazil and An Aeroplane Over the Sea by neutral milk hotel are both the most inspiring things I've ever listened to. Whenever I want to feel some sort of transcendence, I put one of them on.

The song I feel has best captured what I was going for in writing was the song "Falling In Line", which I've posted the lyrics from on here. (Look for it, if you'd like.) I don't like most of what I've written and finished, because I feel I always leave something unsaid or half-said, but that song is one of the few I feel like I nailed down what I wanted completely.

So yes. Download Jets to Brazil and neutral milk hotel. I demand this.