Night Syndrome : Forum : Night Syndrome Book Club

Night Syndrome Book Club

14 Years Ago

Finally, you'll be able to find out why I asked you to give me your e-mail addresses, unless you've already guessed it out of common sense. I mean, what else would I, and the rest of the group members, want to do with your e-mail addresses? :P

The reason is that I am starting up a Book Club. You'll find that another thread exists called 'Booklovers Cove', but that's just for book recommendations. This Book Club will go into each book deeply, details and all.

Apart from it being a good source of knowledge, this club will aim at keeping the group active. However, now it gets more complicated.

Obviously, everyone comes from different geographical regions and hence has a different time frame. So we'd need to work out the times for this group, not only being careful to check that while someone is awake, another member wouldn't be asleep or something, but also that they actually have the ability to pick a certain time in the day to devote to this group, when we can all go on-line and chat.

Yes, this group will be on-line, on a chat. It could be on any general chat box, but I would prefer if we all used YIM, because if someone can't make it to the meeting, its very simple to just save the conversation and hand it to them so that they won't miss out on what we covered.

Another issue at hand is getting the actual books themselves. Some might be far away from any bookstore, and others might have financial problems. In that case, e-books can cover it.

Now, this Book club meeting is going to need everyone's input. I understand if you can't make it once or twice, as long as I can make sure that three quarters or half of the group can actually attend. Otherwise, it's just lame.

I'll e-mail you all with further details. Don't expect this Book Club to start immediately. I've got a lot on my hands right now, but some time or other, it will start.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I already posted most of this on the thread Suggestions, but here is as good place to repeat it.
I think using a chat, like YIM, that I have no idea what you are talking about, might not be the best idea. Sure you can save the chat, but you can do that with gtalk as well.
In the past, when I was active on different manga forums, sometimes whole conversations would take place on a single thread in the span of a few hours. Me and a few other regulars would be on, and we would post back and forth in several active threads, carrying on several separate conversations at time. I think using a forum for the book club discussions would be better than chat, because all of it is always saved and available, and some people could come in late and still see what else was said. Also, if one person can only come an hour after we end, they could at least contribute a little, and we could all go back to a discussion at a later point. Please consider using a forum instead of chat. Also, if this forum isn't good enough, just make a freewebs.com forum.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

It's a good idea, only some people have slow computers, myself included. So its annoying to have to stay going back and forth, when it could be much faster with a chat system. Like I said, YIM (Yahoo Instant Messenger) is only a suggestion. I'd have to see what chat system most members use. Whichever one it is won't be a problem for me because I have all the chat systems I can think of. I'd just have to see which is the more popular. I'd much prefer a live chat instead of a forum because apart from replying instantaneously, you can get that feel of actually being there, without having to wait. Webcams could also help, but that's not necessary.

If I want to abandon the whole concept of an 'external' chat system, then I'll just set up a chat box in the main group section. But even then, we'd need to figure out a specific time, because most time frames are different.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

Oh, and to answer one of your other questions made in the 'Suggestions' thread, the books we shall be discussing shall be chosen by the members. First we'll go through the basics, like classics and the sort, and move on from there. I'll ask for an entire list of books recommended by the members, and I'll choose at random from that list.

[no subject]

14 Years Ago

I ran into a few errors while making a chat box for this group. I still intend on keeping up the idea of the book club, but it's just not going to happen for now. In the meantime, feel free to go over to my profile page and join me and the rest of the Night Syndrome members in the chat box I've uploaded.