Novels & Short Stories : Forum : scenes

scenes

7 Years Ago

How many of you do scenes for novels, or do you just go straight into writing after doing a plot outline

Re: scenes

7 Years Ago

I find that after I make out an outline, my writing takes off it other directions. As far as scenes go, I have written scenes that I hope to place into my novel at a later points.

7 Years Ago

I find the same I do an outline and then that changes with scenes, but sometimes I think I am writing to much in my scenes before even beginning to write and I am wasting time but I know in the long run it will be better I guess.

7 Years Ago

your scenes should be important to your story. As if you have a scene in a desert and then a winter scene, They would not be able to this very well. Unless you have a blizzard rolling in on them. The story is what you wish it to be, If you work with an outline, it is like creating a railroad track. Or a road. 

I am unable to do this.

7 Years Ago

I jumped around a little with my first novel "A Mask in A Mirror" and found that it helped with foreshadowing. The kicker is that it is a book I wrote towards the ending. I had a very clear picture of where I was going to take the story.

Now, I am working on my second book and I am doing my best to stay focused one scene at a time. I made a general outline of how I think the story will go and then I make larger more in depth outlines breaking down each and every scene. So the main plot is decided, but I'm free to play with any subplots as I feel is needed.

Getting to the point here, the second novel is better. The ending to A Mask in A Mirror is what sets it apart, but there are admittedly a couple of slow moments building up to that grand finale. Working in a sequential order is really helping me to form a book that is solid from cover to cover.