Opinion Magazine (Editorial Writers Club) : Forum : Whats Your view?


Whats Your view?

15 Years Ago


I see people in the mall stare down one another as if they were gaining something by doing so. Is it just me or do my eyes do more than just stare? When I look onto a person covered in makeup, I know they know the truth of the fake society we live in. Every time I see the dark and shadowed people who believe their dark eye liner and all black clothes is doing more than paying into the system they hate so much. Not to hate on the type of clothes they wear but the Goths, punks, and even the insolent Emo kids all play into the system they believe to be horrible. They know it�s wrong but they still spend their fortunes on clothes that separate them and allow them to be accepted as rejected. Their cold appearance only chills their opposites. The Preps, Gotti, and Ghetto kids, these are the people they feel should notice them. Clothing is nothing more than a label when worn in absurd amounts. There�s a difference between personal taste and being pulled into the machine called industry. You are buying into this utterly overpowered machine. They tell you what they want you to hear. They are the controllers of all of us. The fashion world is something that holds many people to short reigns. To trust adds that say they will make you beautiful, is or at least, should be a sin. Morally this is all wrong. Everyone is beautiful but yet physically some are left lacking. The most beautiful people are the ones who play so heavily into the system. If you�re wearing labels you might as well be a soup can.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


I laugh any time I hear some dummy say that they wear the clothing and the make-up as a statement against society. But aren't they a society?

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Matt, there's an essay you should read about exactly your point - It's short and very well written. It's called 'The underground is a lie.' I've included the link below if you want to have a look.
Personally I'm always struck by the look of anxiety I see in the eyes of people in the mall. However, it's easy to criticise, and I think we all fall into the same trap - myself included.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Yea i have to agree and say that even myslef had fallen into this trap. But after a realization, i now do whatever i want. From peircings to tatoos and the people i hang out with. Just because hes a freak doesn't make him less human and just becuase shes a doll doesnt make her a toy. So i do my best to just be human witch so many have seem to have lost.

And to say "isn't this society," well yes, yes it is. Soceity is a melting pot but that doesnt mean your forced to mold into something else when everything cools. Let your cracks and dents be your own. Don't be confined to the can they try to pour us into.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Someone without a personal style will reflect their willingness to be led by a trend or fad in prectically every aspect of their lives. Most of the people you observe fear being ostracized and labelled the outsider, so they take great pains to label themselves first. That way if they're not popular, they can at least wear the camo of popularity. Original thoughts most likely aren't welcome in such a group. On the other hand, who a person is is not necesarily derived strictly from their uniform. There are those occasions when clothing doesn't 'make the man/ woman,' it hides the devil. Just a thought.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Quote:
Originally posted by Autumn Sims
I laugh any time I hear some dummy say that they wear the clothing and the make-up as a statement against society. But aren't they a society?


Yes they are accepted as the rejected.

In all manner of speaking, yes, clothing can cover up our true intentions or our true appearance but we are all the same unclothed; Human beings. Just a thought but what if no one played into these systems of fashion? Most likly an economic collapse on almost all fronts. The industrialized society needs our minds to be bathed in adds so we can continually pay into the system. Just my point of view that maybe, just maybe, we all don't need to pay into the system all the time; yet like a democracy pay into variouse systems that say who we are. Then again there are those who are nothing but mere labels. Hmm seems to be a contradiction of a sort.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


I'm going to sound like the conformist freak now... but If one wants to be judged on any level of society... why not?

Why should one belittle someone who likes to follow trends? Why is it looked down upon to be interested in pop culture and in trying to fit in?

I'm not saying that hiding ones individuality and doing what's considered "popular" is right, nor am I saying that the goths/emos/etc are any better, because they are participating in a trend also.

And if everyone decided to just be "Themselves" and pay no attention to anything else...

wouldn't individuality then become the popular thing to practice?

I dunno. As a society we're going to follow patterns. Kids rebel against their parents. If you walk into Macy's today, the teen section will have bright, bold colors, gaudy jewelry, wedges. If you walk to the adult women's and misses, there's a sign that says "Neutrals", and it's much more simple, practical.

I just don't think you should judge someone at all, even if they so obviously gave themselves a label.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Being an "old person" now, here's my theory: At a certain age, we need to rebel against whatever represents the parental mindset but many aren't secure enough to do it totally on their own, so we rebel within the safety of our peers. It's like saying "I'm different from YOU! But I still need to be the same as somebody, whether I realize it or not."

My generation did it, too, only with long hair, wire rimmed glasses and braless.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Has anyone done a serious study on this and embedded themselves deep inside the food court to get the inside scoop? It could be dangerous.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Quote:
Originally posted by A. Star
I'm going to sound like the conformist freak now... but If one wants to be judged on any level of society... why not?

Why should one belittle someone who likes to follow trends? Why is it looked down upon to be interested in pop culture and in trying to fit in?

I'm not saying that hiding ones individuality and doing what's considered "popular" is right, nor am I saying that the goths/emos/etc are any better, because they are participating in a trend also.

And if everyone decided to just be "Themselves" and pay no attention to anything else...

wouldn't individuality then become the popular thing to practice?

I dunno. As a society we're going to follow patterns. Kids rebel against their parents. If you walk into Macy's today, the teen section will have bright, bold colors, gaudy jewelry, wedges. If you walk to the adult women's and misses, there's a sign that says "Neutrals", and it's much more simple, practical.

I just don't think you should judge someone at all, even if they so obviously gave themselves a label.


Very good point, the reason i write in general is to get opinions. Ideally not following a trend is a trend within itself. "Accepted as Rejected" is one thing i stated be it in any fashion clique. The mindset i was looking for was one of a designers view point. Start your own trend; Be your own style, but then once again it is another trend! See the irony in the contradiction we know as fashion? The main idea was to open one's eyes to the idea of conformity in anti-conformists. I have done this and you have all expressed the truth on many levels.

Remember there are trends in everything from nature, mathematics, and the clothes on our very backs. Even the way we speak are trends. Are trends bad or good? in all manner of speaking it is one's on personal decision to follow such a inquiry of thought. The trend i am speaking out againsst is one of Idealistic conformity of outcasting one another; Think of the kid who sits alone every day at lunch in school or the guy who mocks the cashier behind you for his required outfit.

Don't just Accept. Don't just Reject. Be Accepted as Rejected.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Quote:
Originally posted by Mikulies
Has anyone done a serious study on this and embedded themselves deep inside the food court to get the inside scoop? It could be dangerous.


Just spend a few hours a day walking, shopping, or just mall-ratting it up and it's almost impossible to miss.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


I agree that there are many "fake people" I'm not sure what they're trying to achieve, but it's not working whatever it is!
The people you're talking about are trying to condition society to accept their behaviour and their black and white way of dress code, they want reaction and that's precisely why I ignore them.
Cheers,
Helen.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Quote:
Very good point, the reason i write in general is to get opinions. Ideally not following a trend is a trend within itself. "Accepted as Rejected" is one thing i stated be it in any fashion clique. The mindset i was looking for was one of a designers view point. Start your own trend; Be your own style, but then once again it is another trend! See the irony in the contradiction we know as fashion? The main idea was to open one's eyes to the idea of conformity in anti-conformists. I have done this and you have all expressed the truth on many levels.

Remember there are trends in everything from nature, mathematics, and the clothes on our very backs. Even the way we speak are trends. Are trends bad or good? in all manner of speaking it is one's on personal decision to follow such a inquiry of thought. The trend i am speaking out againsst is one of Idealistic conformity of outcasting one another; Think of the kid who sits alone every day at lunch in school or the guy who mocks the cashier behind you for his required outfit.


You're right. But just because someone wears makeup or dresses a certain way doesn't mean anything, and in your first little arguement, "When I look onto a person covered in makeup, I know they know the truth of the fake society we live in. "

Aren't you "outcasting" them from yourself as they would a loner? Even then, some of the kindest people I know don't judge based on such. My school's senior prom queen in 2005 was goth. In her senior photo with the rest of the prom committee, she wore a blood red dress, her hair dyed black, her skin stark white and heavily lined eyes among the pretty, blond haired girls that were around her. Judging an entire population and assuming that they're mean is no better than them thinking they're better than you due to how they look.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


I absolutely agree, though I find myself looking for the perfect outfit every morning before school.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


I truly dont go for all this society and clique crap...maybe that could be because im not accepted by any. lol.

But, in the past, at uni was was not accepted by the pop people because my record collection had heavy metal in it. The goths took excption to my Levellers t-shirts and the metalheads didnt like my blues cds.

I didnt care. I was just me. Though being just you can lead to isolation unless you are lucky to meet good friends who just dont care about such things and accept you for who you are.

Also, ive never felt the need to rebel against my family.

Though i do get stared down a lot at shopping centres or malls. I think some people are just looking for people to hate, to mock or feel superior to.

[no subject]

15 Years Ago


Quote:
Originally posted by A. Star
You're right. But just because someone wears makeup or dresses a certain way doesn't mean anything, and in your first little arguement, "When I look onto a person covered in makeup, I know they know the truth of the fake society we live in. "

Aren't you "outcasting" them from yourself as they would a loner? Even then, some of the kindest people I know don't judge based on such. My school's senior prom queen in 2005 was goth. In her senior photo with the rest of the prom committee, she wore a blood red dress, her hair dyed black, her skin stark white and heavily lined eyes among the pretty, blond haired girls that were around her. Judging an entire population and assuming that they're mean is no better than them thinking they're better than you due to how they look.


The point of that line- "When I look onto a person covered in makeup, I know they know the truth of the fake society we live in. "- was that the people who do dress up and look as beautiful as they do, in any clique be it goth or prep, know and understand fully the steps they are taking to further their perception of expression. They know they will have heads turn, the understand people who truly yearn to hate the ones they don't understand or could never appreciate it. Now the 2005 prom queen is a testemant to the fact just presented. She won and she was "goth." A title originally contrived from architecture such as the Gothic churches of way back when. I do not mean to sound cold or cynical but didn't she get exactly what she wanted? Attention? In all means i bet she is a wonderful person but the idea is still their. People knew her as a goth and not by her name. Funny isn't it? You said she was goth before you said her name? Ironic this is the point I'm trying to make. We use labels before we use names or realistic tenses.

Everyone who has spoken has portrayed an excellent standpoint. I recently pulled myself from a car accident and have delved into what it is to be, well, me. The person you are is reflected by what we wear and some look better than others but the one's who are truly aware play everyone like a tool and allow us to label. Also to reassure the sanctity of my argument, a person is only a person. Mere humans covered in differently colored clothes. Our actions are usually portrayed by our labels. Being normal is the lack Individuality. We are who we are but what makes us who we are. Should society (music, fashion, business) or the ideas that swell from our heads and into the public void for interpretation. Our actions make us, they shouldn't label us. We all have names and before one becomes consumed by the game of labeling; one should look at ourselves and see what we label ourselves as. I bet we label ourselves unique when we are simply part of the clique Accepted as Rejected. This is the crowd that i hope stands as the proud; yet I'm labeling?

Is it possible just to ask to be called something else, because without labels how can one describe someone or something?