Poetry 101 : Forum : Contest Ideas

Re: Contest Ideas

8 Years Ago

A poem about tay-Sachs disease or the kids who are battling to win or the children who have lost the battle. My cousin Lexi Gordon lost her battle with Tay-Sachs Disease. It's an incurable disease. She passed away 29 days before her 3rd birthday. I've already written her poem. Still trying to give it to her parents.

8 Years Ago

Maybe something along the line s of conveying a social message.
Or something that makes one want to write and how it makes their work unique, i.e. ones own inspiration and story. 
Maybe about ones muse too . 

Cheers!!

8 Years Ago

Do a poem contest expressing a certain emotion!

8 Years Ago

It'd be sweet if we have a contest on honey bees  .... :) :)

8 Years Ago

Photo prompt contests are some of my favorites.

Or word collection prompts: provide a small group of words (2-5 is usually good) and ask for a poem which incorporates most or all of them. Even more challenging if you require a specific form. You can also skew this into a vocabulary challenge. Have one of the words be an obscure word or have the writer find a new word they've never used in a piece before and incorporate that somehow. Thesaurus challenges are really nice, too, having the writer force themselves to use synonyms for most of the words in their poem, and show a before and after.

Favorites prompts are fun too, but sometimes not as inspirational as others. Favorite foods, clothing, people (personal or celebrity).

8 Years Ago

How about writing about your favorite person in the Bible

8 Years Ago

How about doing a contest in which we describe what our fantasies are and it wouldn't matter what type of fantasies they are?

Just asking, of course.

8 Years Ago

Poetry that will make you scream. One that will give you nightmares.

7 Years Ago

he has been posting poetry prompts daily all month for National Poetry Month...also check out WorldPoetryOpenMic over on Facebook....they have been posting a poetry prompt each day for National Poetry month too....also I am active over at thestarlitecafe.com where I have over 1600 poems posted because they always have all kinds of challenges going on over there...you can check out my FB page where I post my poetry as I do it www.facebook.com/pamschwetzmusicandpoetry and my soundcloud has some songs and music along with reciting some of my poetry over at www.soundcloud.com/pamschwetz/sets there u can find more online links my google plus has pretty much all my online links that I can think of...to find more poetry sites and music sites,etc...I am most active at starlite because I am always doing challenges there that keep me writing....free to join and go check out their challenges for some ideas...

7 Years Ago

I think one of the cool things that you could do rather than a contest with a certain theme could be doing a contest revolving around a series of entries, more like a tournament where you have rounds. You win round 1, you pass on to round 2 and have to enter a new poem.

That would give you more chances to use the wonderful ideas other people are putting forward and if you did a structured poetry tournament then you could use different structures as you move forward in the tournament, or do a themed tournament with new ideas to write about each time.

next Next Page
last Last Page