Popcorn Writing : Forum : Welcome, everyone!

Welcome, everyone!

11 Years Ago

I'm not sure how successful this endeavor will be, but I'll certainly give it a go. Spread the word about this group and Popcorn Writing and check in frequently!

Re: Welcome, everyone!

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the add Savannah!

11 Years Ago

Alrighty! This is exciting :) Message me when the first round starts

11 Years Ago

hi ! so when do we start?
 should  we just post popcorn writing threads or wait for you to post them?
how would you like to do to this?

11 Years Ago

Yeah, I'd like to know how we're going to do this as well. What order do we go in? I mean, don't want everyone replying at the same time to the popper

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the invite, dear! I'm looking forward to getting this started, I've always wanted to participate in popcorn writing. Please let me know when it starts. :)

11 Years Ago

Weeeeell, this really sounds like fun. PLZ Message me when we are starting.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe

11 Years Ago

Group's big enough that we should probably be subdivided. Might be interesting if we have three groups all given the same base and certain restrictions (for example that one of the characters must die in a certain way, or that a certain day must have a very special significance to someone).
This way we'd be able to compare how the different groups dealt with these restrictions. And it's very technically feasible, too. Plus with different groups the last person in won't need to wait two weeks before it's their turn. You could even turn it into a contest.

11 Years Ago

Ah, following the path of Chaucer and Boccaccio, eh?
That's great =D And looks pretty exciting =D
Though I only write poetry :( ... but I can read your stories =D

11 Years Ago

Looks neat. Yeah, it might turn out something close to Chaucer's or like the tale of Scheherazade. Someone, (the admin I suppose) could kick off a plot or a treatment to the frame story or whatever this will turn out. I'm excited on how far and crazy this will go!  

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the invite Savannah! :D Seems like a wonderful group 

11 Years Ago

I am looking forward to this!

11 Years Ago

This will be good because we all have different writing styles, so the story will be really interesting. Message us when we start :)

11 Years Ago

Sounds like fun im in!
thanks for asking me to join

11 Years Ago

Thanks for the invite, this sounds good!

11 Years Ago

Looking forward to it. Can't wait to see all of the ideas flow into a huge story. This is going to be awesome. 

11 Years Ago

Ahaha this is bigger than I expected it would be, Savannah. I think the whole group idea That Guy suggested would be a great way to go about this, though the number of groups is a bit debatable. There are definitely some things that'll have to be decided before the actual writing starts, but it's going to be a lot of fun when it gets going :) I'll try to help you get it going, if you want.

11 Years Ago

Cool! Thanks for the invite, can't wait to get started! :)
[send message][befriend] Subscribe

11 Years Ago

I like how it seems Savannah just hasn't logged on since she sent her invites and will return perhaps in a week to find a 500 member strong group of people who've just started losing interest.

To expand upon my earlier proposition while we wait for her, I suggest not to limit the number of groups which can be formed, but rather the amount of people in one group. This may seem obvious but I think it's important to make it clear.

As for how to handle it we can simply appoint group moderators (who would ideally be themselves members) who will create closed groups (membership only through invite) with generic enough names to be found (ex: "Popcorn Writing Group A - YourTeamNameHere")

So basically one would create a new forum post saying "I volunteer to moderate a group of x number of people" and operate on a first come first serve basis.

This way this current group would act as a sort of central hub, each time a group elaborates a new short story/chapter the moderator would post it here for the rest of this small community to enjoy.

We're all heading into this thinking the same thing: this will be a great source of diversity. However how diverse can it really be? Invariably you'll either end up with completely internally incoherent stories (if for example you read one paragraph which is highly realistic and descriptive and the next is an allegorical haiku) or, in the more likely case, you'll end up with a group of people who managed to find a central theme and fit into a genre together.

In the latter case, if we have enough groups, one interesting possibility opens up: contests. If we have enough groups, invariably at least two groups will both write (admittedly very different) stories in one same genre, and so a contest can be born which would be put to the vote by the community.

This is all possible and frankly not that hard at all. By making people post on forums to join a group you are ensuring that it is at least a semi-active member, and not just someone who accepted the invite and then never looked back. By allowing each group of people their own closed group on the website you're ensuring they have their own forums to communicate and elaborate ideas, and that this central group's forums don't get oversaturated.

I could go on, but I don't think there's that much interest. The point is that I can back up all my suggestions with such arguments and I believe this would be the most efficient system we can devise.

11 Years Ago

when do we start?