Project: Writer : Forum : Quick vocabulary question

Quick vocabulary question

16 Years Ago

Who knows the plural form of "d****e"?

I tried "d*****s" but that just doesn't sound right for some odd reason. I wasn't sure if this word has the same properties as something like "Dice" or "Mouse" or "Deer" (seeing as each of those all have different forms or singular and plural).

much appreciated for the help.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

According to my Collins Internet-Linked Dictionary, there is no listed plural for 'd****e'. It says the definition for a d****e is:

1) a stream of water or air directed onto the body surface or into a body cavity, for cleansing or medical purposes
2) the application of such a stream of water or air
3) an instrument, such as a special syringe, for applying a d****e
4) to cleanse or treat or be cleansed or treated by means of a d****e

However, when I write 'd*****s' into MS Word it has no problems with it, so maybe you can just add an extra 's' to make the plural term.

Hope that helps.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Thank you. I had written that originally but any time that I read back over it and sound it out in my head, it just didn't sound correct. (I was using the word as the name of a gang that I'm writing about in a future story.) I even tried the form, "Douchettes".

Thank you though.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

in my experience no one has ever said "D*****s" but typically lengthens it to "douchebags".

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by A. Star
in my experience no one has ever said "D*****s" but typically lengthens it to "douchebags".

I had thought about that too... But I wanted to mix it up a bit... I wanted to keep the first part open for many more inserts like, "the douchepicks", "the douchens", "the douchelettos", "d****e-kong", "the douchemese", "douchewhore", "d****e-shai"...

"Douchebags" just seems like it's been written a million times and I wanted to add some fun to the word in the new story. I do appreciate the input though.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

D****e is a slang word so I think standard grammar doesn't exactly apply. If I remember correctly it is taken from the French verb DOUCHER for "shower" or "bathe" (generally), but the American adaptation is for feminine hygiene products, which is where the basis for the negative connotation is. I think whatever you feel is best will probably work. You mean to say something like "I hate those b******s; they are just a bunch of D*****S"? Yeah, its weird, you may want to check find an alternate/related synonym or something that sort of means the same thing...perhaps

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Quote:
Originally posted by Shaun Hardy
[quote=A. Star]in my experience no one has ever said "D*****s" but typically lengthens it to "douchebags".

I had thought about that too... But I wanted to mix it up a bit... I wanted to keep the first part open for many more inserts like, "the douchepicks", "the douchens", "the douchelettos", "d****e-kong", "the douchemese", "douchewhore", "d****e-shai"...

"Douchebags" just seems like it's been written a million times and I wanted to add some fun to the word in the new story. I do appreciate the input though.[/quote]

you could spice it up like "Douchii" like rhombii =)

that sounds pretty nifty if I say so myself