Sci (Fi) of Relief : Forum : reviews, please

reviews, please

13 Years Ago

Remember all that stuff I blathered about in reply to the thread, "What do you usually include in your stories?"  (Of course you don't - no one ever reads forum threads...)  Well, I've got a couple of stories up on WritersCafe now, and both of them contain one or more characters from that collection.   One is an 800-word fragment of a longer story, and the other is a complete short story at less than 3500 words.  Neither should be long enough to frighten away would-be reviewers, I think.   I'll be honest:  I'm a refugee from Urbis (a much larger, much more active peer review site that went down - temporarily, we've been told - a few months ago), and I miss the thorough reviews that were, if not common there, at least not rare.  I need more than "i luv it lol!!" or even "The characters are good, I like the plot complications at the end."  I need to know WHY a reviewer likes it, or doesn't.  I need to know if any parts bored the reader or sounded like an info dump or didn't have ENOUGH information.  (I'm really bad about that last one.)  I need to know if my characters come across as too perfect or too intelligent or too normal.  I need to know if the genres blend seamlessly or if the sci-fi elements jar against the fantasy-ish ones.  I need to know if my sentence structure ever gets too convoluted, and if the references to 'popular culture' detract from the story.  I need to know if minor characters are upstaging the protagonist.  I need to know if predictability of plot makes the protagonist uninteresting.   Not that I'm asking for all that in a single review...