Self-Publishing : Forum : Had Self-Publishing Experience

[reply] [quote]

Had Self-Publishing Experience

12 Years Ago

I have had self-publishing experience with lulu.com, with Amazon Kindle and on www.smashwords.com. I have also found a place where you can create your own magazine which can be viewed online as well as in print copy via print-on-demand. The website is: www.magcloud.com.  I love the whole idea of self-publishing. It gives you total control of your work from start to finish. The hard part is knowing where to market your work and how to go about it. I had a few books on Amazon Kindle but recently removed them because they needed to be updated. As soon as I have them finished, I'll be uploading them to the Amazon Kindle site again. The books will also be available through lulu.com and other online retailers.

My experience with self-publishing has been good overall. The only thing I really find frustrating is that with self-publishing, you don't have anyone to read over your work unless you pay an additional fee which, in most cases, is unfordable for most. I guess that's why I try to post my work online where I can get reviews of my work and see what needs changing. I love not only having control over my project, but I also love that if you want to publish something, you don't have to wait to do it, like you would have to wait months or years for a traditional publisher to accept you. Now, since the recession hit, traditional publishing companies are merging, some have closed, and others are taking an even lesser risk to take on newbie writers. I mean, it was hard to get into a traditional publishing house to begin with, but now, forget it! Not to mention bookstores are closing so that just tells me that digital publishing is taking over and really the wave of the future.
[reply] [quote]

Re: Had Self-Publishing Experience

12 Years Ago

Many thanks for the advice, Ashlynn. I'm already up on Smashwords, Kindle and lulu, so I suppose now's the time to get really busy promoting. It certainly looks like an uphill struggle for authors to get their books seen, and even harder to sell in large quantities. But there do seem to be success stories. I'm currently looking for people to review The Cambridge List on their blog. If I can find a few it would hopefully lead to useful feedback and a little exposure.

Best of luck!
Robert