So You're Writing a Novel : Forum : PET PEEVES!

PET PEEVES!

12 Years Ago

When I was a senior in high school, my English teacher explained a comma splice, and why they were so wrong.  After that, he decided to take a full letter grade off of any paper including a comma splice.   So now, whenever I see one, I freak out.   And in 11th grade English, my teacher outlawed weak verbs.  To this day, I feel guilty whenever I write an "is" or "was".    What are some of your pet peeves when it comes to writing (and reading!)?

Re: PET PEEVES!

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Lou Briggs
When I was a senior in high school, my English teacher explained a comma splice, and why they were so wrong.  After that, he decided to take a full letter grade off of any paper including a comma splice.   So now, whenever I see one, I freak out.   And in 11th grade English, my teacher outlawed weak verbs.  To this day, I feel guilty whenever I write an "is" or "was".    What are some of your pet peeves when it comes to writing (and reading!)?

I dare anyone to write a short story, much less a novel, without EVER using a passive verb.  Or try discussing the weather without resorting to the "to be" verb in some form or another. Can't be done without a lot of unreasonable convolutions of language.  This "rule" is another of those things that gets blown out of proportion, from what was intended as "don't overdo this" to "don't ever do this."

12 Years Ago

Oh, I understand that, but if that teacher found a weak verb in an essay, it was points off.  10 to 15 points off.  It was mentally scarring.  And, much like the dreaded adverbs I've come to hate, I realize they're completely necessary, especially when writing dialogue, because people simply use them.

12 Years Ago

Commas in dialogue. Most people don't punctuate dialogue correctly, and it ticks me off. HAS NOT ANYONE LOOKED IN A BOOK?! Cursed commas. Well, incorrect comma usage annoys me most. Commas are too cool.

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Special Agent Fafa
Commas in dialogue. Most people don't punctuate dialogue correctly, and it ticks me off. HAS NOT ANYONE LOOKED IN A BOOK?! Cursed commas. Well, incorrect comma usage annoys me most. Commas are too cool.

I can type "period, not comma, after" in my sleep now, just from the proofreading I do here on WC. I don't think most people really pay attention to how the words and punctuation and such work in whatever they're reading - they're just there for the story. Not to say that I usually THINK about all that, but I manage to absorb it anyway.

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Weaver

I can type "period, not comma, after" in my sleep now, just from the proofreading I do here on WC. I don't think most people really pay attention to how the words and punctuation and such work in whatever they're reading - they're just there for the story. Not to say that I usually THINK about all that, but I manage to absorb it anyway.

Incorrect Grammar, for me, takes away the story. Makes it seem less...well written and interesting.

12 Years Ago

Incorrect Grammar, for me, takes away the story. Makes it seem less...well written and interesting.

This I totally agree with. I'm like a grammar nazi.

12 Years Ago

Originally posted by Autumn

This I totally agree with. I'm like a grammar nazi.

Grammar Nazis Unite!