So You're Writing a Novel : Forum : I need HELP!!!

I need HELP!!!

12 Years Ago

I keep trying to write a book/novel but I can never finish them. Does anyone have any advice they could offer???? Please HELP!!!!!!

Re: I need HELP!!!

12 Years Ago

I advise that you keep writing, and remember, not every book will come out the way you want them to.  I've written 4 that I would NEVER consider sending for publication, even if I edited them, but they were necessary to write.  They helped me learn what to do and what not to do.  If you write, but don't finish, don't worry about it.  If you're writing, you are NOT wasting time.  And eventually, you will be able to finish.   Hope that helps!  If you have any other specific questions, feel free to ask.  I think you'll get a better answer.

12 Years Ago

Deadlines.  We all hate them, but they serve as accountability.  Projects without deadlines almost always languish.  Set short, incremental deadlines.  Finish your outline by such a date, then chapter 1 by such a date, and so forth.  Be firm and disciplined on your punishments to yourself if you miss a deadline.  No going out with friends until you complete it.  And don't push back other deadlines just because you missed one (that kind of defeats the purpose).  IMO this is the best way not only to get writing done, but to get anything done.

12 Years Ago

Thanks for the advice. About the deadline thing what advice could you give to a person who doesn't do so well at keeping their deadlines???

12 Years Ago

Something that helped me a ton when I began writing seriously was a forum.  I had a (small) fan base, eager to read updates.  When I told them I'd have a piece on Wednesday, they held me to it!  And, while they didn't offer the same sort of advice as I'm getting here, they did hold me accountable and b***h at me if I didn't let them know what happened to a character after a cliffie.  When you tell people you'll do something, you're much more obliged to do it, to avoid any embarrassment.

12 Years Ago

Pretty much exactly what Lou said.  Get other people involved to hold you to your deadlines if you can't hold to them yourself.  I'm sure you can find support for that here even. 

Remember, set small incremental deadlines, not something like "I will have the book done by such-and-such a date."  You'll never reach a goal like that.  Make them small and attainable.  I generally work by a week-to-week schedule.

12 Years Ago

Try to set a manageable goal. Something like a scene or a chapter a week. Reward yourself for attaining the goal, but don't get to down on yourself if you don't - that way leads to writer's block. 

Stay positive. If the project you are working on isn't flowing out, then start another project. I'm working on three novels at the moment. I go back and forth as the inspiration strikes me.

Let yourself relax, and write.