So You're Writing a Novel : Forum : What makes a story "Original"

What makes a story "Original"

12 Years Ago

Now I understand that at this point in time there's almost no way to be Not cliche in some form or the other when writing, but this question has been bugging me for a while now. What do you guys think on the subject?

It's kind of tough to elaborate on it... think something like a character's past and reason for being who he is. say, some sort of bad guy. or even the hero. or maybe some points in the plot.

Re: What makes a story "Original"

12 Years Ago

It is true that most plot lines have become exhausted and hackneyed. Now, in this day and age, it actually takes time and creation to produce a story that gives that "original" sense. And part this that may not be excluded from this discussion, however, is the fact that most people now are content with the ever-repeated vampires and supernatural beings. Most books coming out contain the fundamental aspects that all of us have already unearthed and printed onto our minds.

What makes a story "original" is fresh perspective, fresh ideas, and fresh plot. "Original" stories are time consuming, to be sure, but also requires a mind that allows itself to be taken outside of the box. A great deal of the stories and novels I've seen on this site have been exactly what you and I are exasperated about; nothing is original! I almost begin to wonder... why do they write this if it doesn't give me something to think about? We are in a dearth of originality and I wish there was something I could do to instigate a new wave of creative ideas.

Thanks for the post. I'm glad to see another who shares my views.

12 Years Ago

Thanks for the reply, I'm likewise glad to see someone who shares my views.It's like you took the words right out of the back of my brain.
Of course, I could go on and on about how I think the mental process of too many writers works, and easily derail the thread. Rather then doing that, I'd like to see what others post. Hopefully this can get some people, including myself, thinking harder. Good for the brain 'n such.

12 Years Ago

I've become a firm believer that no story nowadays is truly "original" in terms of its content.  Everything we tell as writers is an amalgamation of the stories we've been exposed to.  I think, more than ever, it's more about HOW we tell those stories that really makes them unique and inspired.  The skill with which we manipulate the reader's thoughts, opinions, or feelings on a subject are so deep and varied that there is always new ground to tread.

Just to use a quick example, look at the recent boom in the superhero genre.  They're all action movies, they're all (or for the most part) origin stories that, apart from the very fine details, are really all largely the same.  Man discovers power, man learns to control power, man uses power for good.  But how you frame the story is what gives it life.  Ironman turned the origin story into one about a man building a hotrod.  Batman turned that same story into one about a man crafting a legend.  Thor was a "fish-out-of-water" story.  I think the originality has to be something deeper than just the plot.