Somnambules : Forum : Name that Art!

The Art Gallery!

14 Years Ago

Writers tend to be artsy, so name a visual work of art that you really fancy.

Re: Name that Art!

14 Years Ago

Starry Night gets me every time...so does the Mona Lisa Smile

14 Years Ago

I've recently discovered a Spanish-Mexican artist and I'm simply in awe.  Her name is Remedios Varos.  Alessander, you might be interested; her work resembles that of William Blake.  They all look like Medieval works of art, but the titles are modern: "Woman Leaving the Psychoanalyst," or "Vegetarian Vampires."  

Here is a gallery: 
This one is one of my favorites, simply titled "Personaje/Character."  Here's another gallery 

14 Years Ago

Those are amazing, I.R.!   I can feel forgotten parts of my mind shuffling off cobwebs just looking at those.  Great stuff for inspiration, I think.  And the artist's name reminds me of the two Remedios' from 100 Years of Solitude, which immediately incites a kind of dream-like wonder for me.

There's a local artist here who always seems to do the same for me, but instead of all out wonder she usually manages to inspire a painful sort of nostalgia.  Her name's Carolyn Carr, and her work most frequently depicts images and landscapes (urban and rural) that simply aren't there anymore.  The work isn't perfect, she's not able to spread space within the canvas as well as some artists or create absolutely believable perspectives, but what she makes exists just as it would in childhood memories.

Here's one of my favorites called 'Amelia's Memories', which is incredibly apt since my grandmother's name is Amelia, and the fish market depicted is one she took me to frequently as a child.

14 Years Ago

Cy Twombly is great, his work needs to be seen at a gallery, alas I haven't had that pleasure but, I love his work!

xx

13 Years Ago

Well Isaac, since u mentioned Blake! lol  This is entitled "Death on a Pale Horse", and is actually tatooed on my arm.  I was really debating getting it in color, but the tat artist recommended I get it in black. Still love it.

And all ur tastes are awesome. I knew there was a reason I invited u guys to the group lol  I'm def gonna check them out, esp since I've been oblivious to a lot of the modern stuff!

Re: Welcome to the Gallery!

13 Years Ago

Hey thus far we've only had paintings up, but I KNOW we all like photography.  I myself am partial to B&W, so here is on of my favs by Weston