Songwriters & Lyricists : Forum : Favorite songs....

Favorite songs....

16 Years Ago

What song has really affected you?
What song do you wish you'd written??
lately I've been listening to Jake Owen's cd. I LOVE it! There are 2 songs on there that I wish I'd wrote....shoot, I could've wrote! I love them. One is "Startin' With me" & the other is titled "Ghosts". Both of these songs are about regrets...they really touch me.
Especially: "He said some things they cast long shadows/ that I will never outrun/Everyday I spend livin with/ Ghosts of all the things I've done wrong".
(Written by Jake Owen/Chuck Jones/Jimmy Ritchey (BMI) I want to make it clear, those are not my words...do wish I'd written em' though! )

Also Keith Urbans "Tonight I wanna Cry" & a older song Martina McBride sang that I dont think was ever released...I dont know the writers though..anyways, that was is titled "Where I used to have a Heart". That one never fails to make me cry, even on the best of days!

One more I want to add is a late 70's song....ALL TIME fave by David Gates titled "GoodBye Girl". I swear, that song is about my life! If I had to try and tell someone what my "damage" is, Id tell them to listen to that song..watch the movie.
Awesome song. I still wish to not be that "GoodBye Girl", but it seems my destiny.
(Yeah, I know, I sound overly dramatic..just been one of those weeks).

Anyways, I dont know if anything I've written or will ever write will come close to affecting another as these songs have affected me, but I write with the hopes that I can someday create something that touches another. Or helps them to feel less alone. ;)
What about you guys?

Chrissy

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

This is a very good topic to start.

Personally, I'm empowered by many artists and songs. I'm really inspired by Fall Out Boy and Evanescence, which is why a lot of my music has a punk vocal styling, but a dark melody. "Your Star" by Evanescence is one of my favorites. I really wish I had written that song... and "The Carpal Tunnel of Love" by Fall Out Boy. Or "Sugar, We're Goin' Down". Actually, I just love all of the lyrics by both of those bands. Two different areas of genius.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Easily the song that has affected me the most is Street Spirit by Radiohead. It just basically talks about how the world can close you in. Alot of pain in the lyrics. I don't know something about that song just makes me feel infinite. I reccomend giving it a listen.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Emery, Emery, Emery, and oh, Emery.

"Walls," "Fractions" and "The Ponytail Parades" off The Weak's End can pull the words from the back of my mind up to the front.

"Playing with Fire," "So Cold I can See My Breath" and "In a Win, Win Situation" off The Question also put me in the writing mood.

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

Most of Silverchair's song rank amongst my favourites.
Daniel Johns is not only a great guitarist and pianist, but also a wonderful lyricist.

If you don't know much about this band, go on youtube and type "Silverchair - Across the night" for instance. You'll get a good idea.

I'm also a Muse fan. Their lyrics arent always top notch, but the music is, and live they're just magnificent.

And... last but not least... late Jim Morrison's lyrics... the best ever!!

[no subject]

16 Years Ago

I wish I had written "ugly girl" By Fiona Apple. ::cool::