Spoiler Cafe : Forum : The Excalibur Mission

The Excalibur Mission

13 Years Ago

I'm working on that novel again... Seems like forever since I last did serious writing for it, but this time it feels right.  This time, I'm in that 'stay up too late and drink lots of coffee to get into character' writing mode that I've been missing.  This time, I've figured out which viewpoint characters are best qualified to tell most of the story.     Rather than start at the beginning and write straight through to the end, I've skipped around a bit.  Right now, I've got the first two chapters, plus chapter 7 and part of 8 (because those latter chapters deal with things that have been gnawing at my brain for weeks, and in-character nightmares are no fun).  These are all first drafts, of course - or what passes for first drafts in the way I write, which involves doing a lot of the initial "writing" in my head.  (Yeah, I know - you'd think that it would be too crowded in there to get any writing done.)     Anyway.  I'd much appreciate some feedback on the chapters I've posted here on WritersCafe.  The Excalibur Mission is a science fiction novel, but don't think that only sci-fi fans can give helpful reviews.    

Re: The Excalibur Mission

13 Years Ago

sounds cool. i'll check it out (:

13 Years Ago

That would be great.  As I said, chapters 7 and 8 are the ones giving me trouble.  (Ever have a situation where you feel quite protective of a character and yet feel that you must make their life a complete hell for the good of the plot?)  If you could give me your impressions of the plot and the characters (see author's notes on ch 8), that would be especially helpful.   I'm in the process of writing a "spoiler" synopsis for the story up through chapter 8.

13 Years Ago

Paragraph problem (see post titled "help?") dodged for now... I've put my synopsis in a blog entry instead.  Here's the link:     I'd like to keep the discussion here on the group forum, and I'll post the synopsis here too if I can ever figure out how to make it work.  (Yeah, this is me being optimistic and thinking that someone will actually WANT to discuss my novel.  Stranger things have happened.)   And "spoiler alert" doesn't even begin to cover it...  

13 Years Ago

okay. i havn't had time to read it yet, i've been rather busy, but i'll get to it as soon as possible. should i read the spoiler or the chapters first?

13 Years Ago

Huzzah!  Someone interested in reading my book...!   If you're going to read the chapters (there are only 4 right now), you should just go ahead and read those.  The synopsis is there mostly for people who want to read a later chapter (like 8) without reading the earlier part.  But there are a lot of important tidbits of info in those other chapters what aren't mentioned in the synopsis (because you can't put EVERYTHING in one - if you did, it would be the whole story anyway).