The Broken, The Beaten, & The Scared : Forum : What makes you write?

What makes you write?

11 Years Ago

Since there were no threads started, I thought I'd start one. 
As a writer, I honestly, still haven't been able to pin down what makes me write. I've noticed I write less when life is good and I am happy. More when things are bad. I feel that writing about happiness is one of the hardest things in the world. It all comes out feeling trite and cheesy.

So, and please don't let my two cents influence you, what makes you write? Not just inspires you in general, but are the events/feelings/concepts that MAKE you write? Like you can't hold it in anymore? Or maybe it's just me that suffers that particular kind of inspiration. I really struggling with finding things that trigger my brain to string everything together and express it with some kind of coherent thought on paper. 

I'd love to know all of your experiences with that part of the writing process. 
Thanks
HOH

Re: What makes you write?

11 Years Ago

I write as a means to express, to challenge myself, to challenge my beliefs, to let my vulnerabilities be known.  When we take our seat of strength & truth we can then rise unwavering to fresh challenges that await and experience the fruit they bear.  Too much time have I spent hiding, from myself, buying in to culture, outsourcing my expression to fit some prefabricated norm.  When we strip away the superficial, attachments to people, objects, ideals what is left? what is our truth? who will ever tell our story if we do not try?

Re: What makes you write?

11 Years Ago

I write when I am depressed or experiencing something traumatic. For instance, I was asked to write a poem for my grandmothers’ funeral program. Her death was unexpected; I was able to do this in less than an hour.  Everyone agreed it was very fitting. I also write when I am content.  This happened often, when I would start dating someone. I would feel that excitement and bliss. The beginning stages of a relationship were exhilarating. I was a hopeless romantic. Now that I am married I do not write poetry as much – even when I’m experiencing happiness. Although, writing stories is different, I can write a story despite feeling happy or sad. However, my preference is to feel neutral when writing stories it will not be influenced by my feelings.