The Bull sheet : Forum : Sandy to cause havoc over 800-..

[reply] [quote]

Sandy to cause havoc over 800-mile area

11 Years Ago

New York City will suspend subway and bus service, as tens of millions of people all across the East Coast are prepping for a rare hybrid storm expected to cause havoc across a wide area.
SHIP BOTTOM, N.J. (AP) — Tens of millions of people in the eastern third of the U.S. in the path of the unprecedented freak storm had hours Sunday to prepare for the first raindrops that were expected later in the day, to be followed over the next few days by sheets of rain, high winds and even heavy snow. The warning from officials to anyone who might be affected path was simple: Be prepared and get out of the way.New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo has ordered New York City's transit service to suspend bus, subway, and commuter rail service in advance of the massive storm expected to hit the eastern third of the United States. Cuomo says the system will be suspended starting at 7 p.m. Sunday.Hurricane Sandy was headed north from the Caribbean, where it left nearly five dozen dead, to meet a winter storm and a cold front, plus high tides from a full moon, and experts said the rare hybrid storm that results will cause havoc over 800 miles from the East Coast to the Great Lakes."I've been here since 1997, and I never even put my barbecue grill away during a storm," Russ Linke said shortly before he and his wife left Ship Bottom on Saturday. "But I am taking this one seriously. They say it might hit here. That's about as serious as it can get." He and his wife secured the patio furniture, packed the bicycles into the pickup truck, and headed off the island.The danger was hardly limited to coastal areas. Forecasters were far more worried about inland flooding from storm surge than they were about winds. Rains could saturate the ground, causing trees to topple into power lines, utility officials said, warning residents to prepare for several days at home without power.States of emergency were declared from North Carolina, where steady rains were whipped by gusting winds Saturday night, to Connecticut. Delaware ordered mandatory evacuations for coastal communities by 8 p.m. Sunday..
By Allen G. Breed and Wayne Parry of Associated Press